What do you use instead of margarine?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

What do you use instead of margarine?

Postby European man » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:05 am

I've tried the archived posts but couldn't find much. I'm taking the McDougall diet seriously and I'm avoiding oil. My staple diet before included eating a lot of bread and margarine so I'm really missing it. I'm trying baking bread or buying no-oil bread but I want to spread something on it!
European man

Re: What do you use instead of margarine?

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 am

Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby European man » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:13 am

Have you tried it?
European man

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 am

I had it at a pitch in recently. It definitely does not have the fat content of margarine, and doesn’t melt. I’m going to pick up the ingredients today to make some. I think a couple drops of butter flavor would make it a better substitute. Ejeff has used it a bit and said it’s good for homemade garlic bread.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:02 am

Yes try it out. I just made it last week and I froze some of it. Last night I wanted some on bread so I defrosted it in the microwave. It was quite runny but once I wisked it all up I could spread it on bread. So for me it does satisfy that old craving for bread and butter. In the past I have also tried a recipe that used corn or cornmeal, but it seemed I could taste the corn too much. Using cauliflower seems to have a more subtle taste.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:43 am

European man wrote:I've tried the archived posts but couldn't find much. I'm taking the McDougall diet seriously and I'm avoiding oil. My staple diet before included eating a lot of bread and margarine so I'm really missing it. I'm trying baking bread or buying no-oil bread but I want to spread something on it!

Nothing. If I eat bread I can without adding anything to it. However, there are better options as staples like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, wheat pasta, oats, etc.
Ltldogg

Postby European man » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:17 am

Ltldogg wrote:
European man wrote:I've tried the archived posts but couldn't find much. I'm taking the McDougall diet seriously and I'm avoiding oil. My staple diet before included eating a lot of bread and margarine so I'm really missing it. I'm trying baking bread or buying no-oil bread but I want to spread something on it!

Nothing. If I eat bread I can without adding anything to it. However, there are better options as staples like rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes, wheat pasta, oats, etc.

Yes I'm trying to be a starchivore. Potatoes are a bit disappointing as their calorie content really isn't that high. I've lost a stone in five weeks when I was fairly thin already. Bread and some sort of substitute for marge/ butter would be a way of not completely wasting away. Otherwise it's massive portions of beans and the foods you mentioned.
European man

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:20 am

European man wrote:Yes I'm trying to be a starchivore. Potatoes are a bit disappointing as their calorie content really isn't that high. I've lost a stone in five weeks when I was fairly thin already. Bread and some sort of substitute for marge/ butter would be a way of not completely wasting away. Otherwise it's massive portions of beans and the foods you mentioned.

Yes, potatoes and sweet potatoes are lower in calorie density but breads are really high. You are not going to be "wasting away" by eating potatoes. What is your weight and height?
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:49 am

A good bread spread is hummus. I make a sandwich with hummus, avocado, mustard, cucumber and tomato. It is good on a baguette as well as whole wheat bread.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby European man » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:40 am

Ltldogg wrote:
European man wrote:Yes I'm trying to be a starchivore. Potatoes are a bit disappointing as their calorie content really isn't that high. I've lost a stone in five weeks when I was fairly thin already. Bread and some sort of substitute for marge/ butter would be a way of not completely wasting away. Otherwise it's massive portions of beans and the foods you mentioned.

Yes, potatoes and sweet potatoes are lower in calorie density but breads are really high. You are not going to be "wasting away" by eating potatoes. What is your weight and height?

I'm 6 foot 2 and 11 and a half stone now. I was 12 and a half stone before going plant-based. I know this doesn't make me super thin but I can't keep losing a stone (14 pounds) every five weeks.
European man

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:26 pm

European man wrote:
Ltldogg wrote:

I'm 6 foot 2 and 11 and a half stone now. I was 12 and a half stone before going plant-based. I know this doesn't make me super thin but I can't keep losing a stone (14 pounds) every five weeks.

Yes, my husband eats a lot of bread, and he needs to think more about keeping his weight up. So I understand you can be too thin. I, on the other hand, want to keep my weight down, and I rarely eat bread. But lately I've been having pizza. If you make a good whole grain crust, it tastes great with just a good tomato sauce on it. Try this crust/sauce recipe by GrammyGinger:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59689&p=601665&hilit=grammy+ginger+it+worked#p601665

You can make her tomato sauce and leave out the nacho sauce, and it still tastes delicious. Don't want to change her recipe, but just pointing this out in case you don't want to spend so much time cooking.

Her crust is really easy. You just stir it together and let it rise for 3 hours, which I think enhances the flavor. Almost zero kneading, and easy to spread into the pan.
Willijan

Postby Willijan » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Here's another good recipe from The Starch Solution. It can be used as a spread on bread, in pita, or on baked potatoes. I really like it.

ARTICHOKE SPREAD

2 cans (14 oz.) artichoke hearts in water, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz.) white beans, drained and rinsed
4 T. lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
4 scallions, chopped
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
Willijan

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 pm

European man wrote:I'm 6 foot 2 and 11 and a half stone now. I was 12 and a half stone before going plant-based. I know this doesn't make me super thin but I can't keep losing a stone (14 pounds) every five weeks.

From Dr. McDougall:

How to gain weight - https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl ... weight.htm

From Jeff Novick:

Calorie Density presentation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg
Ltldogg

Postby littleblackdress » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Mashed avocado; roasted garlic; jam or preserves; mashed chickpeas with a little mustard, chopped celery and walnuts, pepper, and a little cayenne; refried beans. You can also dip your bread in balsamic vinegar. Bread is also good with leftover chili over it.
littleblackdress

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:55 pm

https://www.brandnewvegan.com/recipes/vegan-corn-butter

Here is a recipe that I've been wanting to try. Chuck (the blogger) seems to think highly of it :)

has anyone here ever tried this recipe? Brand New Vegan has some really good recipes.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning