Breakfast grains

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Breakfast grains

Postby Shari_in_SD » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:31 pm

Since I started in April, I have pretty much had oatmeal every day for breakfast. Today I saw an article about too much oats and how it can effect the absorption of minerals. In addition to this, I frequently get a stomach ache after I eat. These factors made me decide I have to vary my breakfasts.

I went to the store and I bought 4 different things for breakfast. One is Mighty Tasty hot cereal. It has rice, corn, sorghum, and buckwheat. The grains all seem to be ground up a little. I may have had something like this a many years ago and I not sure if I liked the texture. It is gluten free. The other was a bag of 5 rolled grains. It has oats wheat, triticale barley and rye as well as flax seeds. I also got buckwheat because if I don't like it as a cereal, I can make it into flour. Lastly I got sorghum.

I just cooked the sorghum in my rice cooker. It is kind of sweet and not as sticky as rice. I think it could be a rice replacement for savory meals. When cooked they are little round balls. What is also fun is you can pop it like pop corn. I did that too and I really liked the results. Unlike pop corn I was able to eat the unpopped kernals. It also didn't make me crave sugar which is something popcorn does. Cooked sorghum is what I am planning on having for breakfast with a little honey, raisins and hemp harts.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for any of these cereal grains I would love to hear them. My plan is to rotate the different cereals.

Shari in SD
Shari_in_SD

Re: Breakfast grains

Postby Idgie » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Wow, I really need to try sorghum! Thanks for the tip.
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:45 am

I don’t think the information about oatmeal is entirely accurate. Maybe Jeff can chime in here? I know that Jeff and Dr McDougall both recommend oatmeal for breakfast.

That being said, what about hash browns for breakfast? The frozen pre-shredded ones are easy and delicious.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Jobet » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:34 am

I must try sorghum!

I often have quinoa or millet for breakfast, not because I'm concerned about oats, I just don't do well with them. Sweet potatoes or regular potatoes are also good for breakfast.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning