McDougall junk recipe?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall junk recipe?

Postby bhami » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... e=Brownies

That recipe uses white flour, a huge amount of sugar, and a large amount of sodium (baking powder and baking soda). What gives? Healthier alternatives are available!

--Bruce
bhami

Re: McDougall junk recipe?

Postby debknott » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 pm

I think this recipe is for those who sometimes need a nice decadent dessert, but who still want to stay on the basic MacDougall plan.

Deborah
debknott

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:40 pm

bhami wrote:Re: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... e=Brownies

That recipe uses white flour, a huge amount of sugar, and a large amount of sodium (baking powder and baking soda). What gives? Healthier alternatives are available!

--Bruce

It's a feast day/special occasion recipe. Nobody says you have to make it. I think Dr. McDougall mentions these brownies in the "Avoid sugar" section of this newsletter article. https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2005nl ... ushing.htm
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Willijan » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:57 am

Brownies:
"Remember, these are a rich treat for a special occasion."
Ingredients

1 cup unbleached white flour
2/3 cup reduced fat cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cashews or walnuts, chopped (optional)
1 cup prune puree
1 cup organic cane sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp egg replacer mixed in 1/2 cup water

I never make these now, but when I did I made these changes: whole wheat flour, no sodium baking powder, no salt at all , no nuts, sugar reduced to 1/3 or 1/2 cup. Notice the recipe says "for a special occasion."

When I first saw this recipe, I thought the same thing you did, bhami. But it is a helpful recipe, because most of us need a treat once in a while, especially when first starting the program.
Willijan

Postby roundcoconut » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:13 pm

I’m not sure if I’d bother getting caught up in wondering whether dr mcdougall is eating these by the pan, or just bringing them to a potluck once in a while! I mean, where would that get you?

You are obviously smart enough to spot junk food when you see it. And that’s really, really smart!

Not everyone is that smart.

As long as YOU have developed the discernment to be able to look at a recipe and say, “Holy crap, that is pure junk!”, then you are WAY ahead of the curve.

There is a small contingent of the plant-based movement (as you see!) that wants nothing more than to find comforting junk food that we can pretend is healthy. Vegan Mac-n-cheese are often pretty junky. Most any cookies or pancakes, are going to be junky. But it’s kinda about keeping your side of the street swept, and not getting too wrapped up in what other people are doing wrong.

Trust them, and let them carry on their merry way! :)
roundcoconut

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Fat free real chocolate brownies are a necessity for some of us. The brownies made of beans just don’t cut it.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning