Brussels Sprouts

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Brussels Sprouts

Postby Bkworm » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:58 pm

This past week we noticed a new product in the frozen food section at Costco. Organic, steam in the bag, brussels sprouts. Decided to try them. We are extremely pleased with the sprouts. First time I cooked them, I went with 8 minutes but that was too much for our taste. Next time, I only cooked them for six minutes and they were wonderful. I sprinkled a bit of low sodium tamari sauce on them and all three of us loved them.

Very hesitant to try them. We usually have brussels sprouts for holidays when we can purchase them still on the stalk. But my DH and DS both allowed as how these are delicious. They are a product of the Netherlands. I checked online and supposedly the primary place brussels sprouts are grown in the US is southern CA. Last time I purchased fresh sprouts in the grocery store they were so bitter we couldn't eat them. Very expensive to just throw out.

So far have only cooked them in the microwave oven. Can be prepared on stove top or roasted when taken out of the steaming bag.

As a toddler, brussels sprouts were our son's first favorite veggie. Yes, I know, strange. But they always had to be fresh, not frozen.

So, glad we noticed this product in the frozen food section at Costco. Nice to have on hand for a quick, nutritious snack.
Bkworm

Re: Brussels Sprouts

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 am

I eat them often, probably five times a week. I have a steamer pot, so I just bring water to boil in the bottom, and dump the Brussels sprouts from the bag into the top part. I often add sliced carrots as well, and steam until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. I love them on baked sweet potatoes (I can't eat white potatoes) or with quinoa or black rice. Sometimes I spoon on a bit of Jane Esselstyn's 3, 2, 1 Salad Dressing! Delish!!
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby Bkworm » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for the serving suggestions, Jobet. Haven't found many ways to fix them excepted like this or roasted. My husband fixes them for the holidays by steaming them. We do love them cut in half and roasted with sweet potatoes and sweet onions. Recently I have just been sprinkling low sodium tamari sauce on them after cooking them in the steaming bag. My husband and I shared a package of them last night as a snack. Will definitely give your suggestions a try.
Bkworm

Postby Jobet » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Bkworm wrote:We do love them cut in half and roasted with sweet potatoes and sweet onions. Recently I have just been sprinkling low sodium tamari sauce on them after cooking them in the steaming bag.

I will definitely have to find some fresh ones and try roasting with sweet potatoes and sweet onions. I would looooooove that. I've used the tamari on the steamed ones too and it's super good.
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby SilverDollar123 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 pm

I usually steam them & use them with Dijon or Honey Mustard! MMMMmmm! Sounds like supper! RAS
SilverDollar123

Postby Jobet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:15 am

SilverDollar123 wrote:I usually steam them & use them with Dijon or Honey Mustard! MMMMmmm! Sounds like supper! RAS

Oh yum, Honey Mustard sounds awesome! BTW is RAS an acronym, or is that your name?

The reason I ask is that I'm new to the forum and recently goofed when Calvin wrote Tia after his reply to me. It's too funny! The ongoing saga is here, if you need a chuckle:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=57589
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby SilverDollar123 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi Jobet. I read the mishap with the tia, that was cute :) . RAS are my initials Ruth-Ann S
SilverDollar123

Postby Jobet » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 am

SilverDollar123 wrote:RAS are my initials Ruth-Ann S

Thanks, RAS. I didn't want to make that mistake twice!! Thought maybe the RAS stood for something like Rice and Sweet-potato. :)
Blessings,

Jobet
Jobet

Postby frozenveg » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:19 am

Just to chime in on my favorite frozen vegetable: I adore Brussels sprouts, but I hate the amount of time I spend with fresh ones. (I once stood in my DIL's kitchen for 45 minutes, stemming and quartering the pile of BSProuts. I was so annoyed!)

I eat the frozen--1/2 to a whole package--3 to 4 times a week. I always top with lemon juice. So yummy! I have also used Dijon mustard (which I also love on white potatoes), but really that was only when the frozen ones went through a patch when they were too dry.

I am such a consistent frozen veg and fruit eater that I can tell when the manufacturer has had a less-than-stellar batch of produce--like the 3 bags of blueberries a few weeks back that had an inordinate number of tiny green berries in them. They've gotten better again, so I'm content.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Bkworm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:04 am

Frozen veg, it was some of your former posts that convinced me to give frozen veggies and fruit another try. My husband and I had stopped using them years ago because of poor quality. Now I primarily use frozen veggies. I would say that 99% of the time, they are wonderful. Quality is certainly more consistent than with fresh produce. Was really leary of trying the frozen Brussels sprouts as we had never thought the frozen were tasty at all. Now all three of us love them. Like you, I usually stayed away from the fresh except on special occasions as they just took too long to prepare to cook. Now several times a week I cook a bag and put them in a bowl with either low sodium tamari sauce or mustard. As I move around the house doing chores I eat them like I used to eat chips. Easily finish a pound in a day. Don’t mind them at room temp but do not like them just out of the refrigerator.

Brussels sprouts are still our son’s favorite veggie and he is eating them as snacks, also. Looking forward to trying them today with lemon juice. I also love mustard with white potatoes. One of my favorite meals is to cook a large white potato. Then I mash it up and put mustard on it. I cook a large bowl of mixed veggies and put the veggies top of the potato. Love the little kick the mustard gives to the potato and mixed veggies. I love the mixture from Costco with corn, carrots, green beans, and green peas. The ones they used to carry with endamame included were even better.

We have been experiencing problems with frozen blueberries recently, too. They seem to be tough and dry. Seems to happen about this time each year. Just thought they were older berries. Finally, just purchased the frozen wild blueberries from Costco. They have been excellent so far.

Thanks for all your excellent tips about frozen veggies and fruit. They sure save a lot of prep time and the taste is almost always perfect unlike fresh produce, in our area anyway. Plus, you use all of the frozen veggies and fruit and don’t pare anything away in wasted money.
Bkworm

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning