Love potatoes. Leftovers? Meh, not so much :/ Help!

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Love potatoes. Leftovers? Meh, not so much :/ Help!

Postby moonchick » Thu May 04, 2017 10:04 am

I'm all about starches and this WOE. I have also always been a meal prepper. I love to have lots of food prepared in the fridge for quick meals, as it seems to make it easier for me to not be temped to grab something that is not compliant, just because it might quick and easy. Having said that, I have tried several ways of baking and cooking potatoes in bulk, only to be disappointed in the waxy texture of them after they have been in the fridge for hours. What is the secret to avoiding this tragedy, when fresh-cooked potatoes are so heavenly? Baked ones are my kryptonite. I can only use them for hash browns or "fried" potatoes later, when I actually want baked. Mashed potatoes are always great leftover, so no problems there.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I see so many posts of people making loads of baked potatoes at once. Sigh.
moonchick

Re: Love potatoes. Leftovers? Meh, not so much :/ Help!

Postby Plumerias » Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 am

I don't like leftover baked potatoes, so you're not alone. But then I'm also not overly fond of russet potatoes, the variety generally used for baking, so cold, blah! Well, except as French fries.......... :eek: However, varieties like redskins and Yukon colds, which I prefer to boil or cook in the Instant Pot, are fine cold. We keep some of those in the fridge to keep us from making bad choices when wanting a snack. You could also try microwaving, which is quick and easy.
Plumerias

Postby patty » Thu May 04, 2017 11:46 am

I usually don't have left over potatoes for the reasons you mention. If I did I think I would make them into a potato salad or reheat one in a panini when hungry. And of course used in chilis or soups. I know some members like to eat them with mustard. I think it is great you love to prep. I really think that is the key to success being Starch Based. Congrats.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby moonchick » Thu May 04, 2017 12:40 pm

Thanks Plumerias and patty. I am glad I am not alone in my potato issues. :wink:

Apparently, I should only do bulk food prep on things that are non-spud, and do those fresh each time. I really thought I must be missing some critical trick, since so many seem to be making large batches of potatoes. Oh well, back to cooking more often in the pursuit of the perfect fluffiness of potatoes. :D
moonchick

Postby symbas » Tue May 16, 2017 10:07 pm

We cook potatoes,so we can have leftovers for our sandwich maker, We boil potatoes, then mix them with an immersion blender, adding only pepper.
The next day, we plop large amount of mashed potatoes onto the sandwich maker, press it down and make potato patties..they are awesome with salsa.
The potatoes we boil with skins on,we cool, we slice, smooth down with our hands on a cutting board, and cook them the same way,in a sandwich maker...they are our mainstay !!
symbas

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning