Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Cookbook...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Cookbook...

Postby patty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:37 am

I tired Rip's Sister's recipe for kale butter... 1/2 cup of walnuts, 12 cup of water and bag of steamed kale.. omitted salt. I had defrosted some berries for a jam and it worked really well with the kale butter on toast. I was very surprised. I normally don't eat bread too often. I was looking for Rip's Mother's recipe for OMG Walnut Sauce.. which of course is in his "My Beef with Meat". I have made it before and thought I would make it again.

I purchase a lot of vegan cookbooks I love looking through them. I have to spend more time with Rip's.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 Cookbook...

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:33 pm

patty wrote:I tired Rip's Sister's recipe for kale butter... 1/2 cup of walnuts, 12 cup of water and bag of steamed kale.. omitted salt. I had defrosted some berries for a jam and it worked really well with the kale butter on toast. I was very surprised. I normally don't eat bread too often. I was looking for Rip's Mother's recipe for OMG Walnut Sauce.. which of course is in his "My Beef with Meat". I have made it before and thought I would make it again.

I purchase a lot of vegan cookbooks I love looking through them. I have to spend more time with Rip's.

Aloha, patty

I don't have Rip's books. I think the only Esselstyn book I have is The Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease Cookbook by Ann and Jane. I found a recipe for Kale butter online. http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/membe ... s-50079628 I also found the OMG Walnut Sauce recipe online. http://www.wholefoodplantbasedrd.com/omg-walnut-sauce/

I recently bought 3 new cookbooks. I'm still waiting for Plantpure Kitchen by Kim Campbell to arrive. The other two I got are The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester and Vegan Mexico by Jason Wyrick. I also want to get Decolonize Your Diet:Plant-based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Vegankit » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Patti, I think you're very brave - I would never have thought mixing walnuts with Kale would make a "butter" like spread that would work with jam on bread. I applaud your trying new things and posting about them.

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I recently bought 3 new cookbooks. I'm still waiting for Plantpure Kitchen by Kim Campbell to arrive. The other two I got are The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester and Vegan Mexico by Jason Wyrick. I also want to get Decolonize Your Diet:Plant-based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel.
AlwaysAgnes, please post back a revew on the Jason Wyrick Vegan Mexico - I'm curious about this one and I don't think my library will be ordering it. I'm waiting my turn to see the library's copy of Kathy Hester's Instant Pot cook book before deciding whether to purchase. I probably will because I love her books, own several and love my InstantPot.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Vegankit wrote:Patti, I think you're very brave - I would never have thought mixing walnuts with Kale would make a "butter" like spread that would work with jam on bread. I applaud your trying new things and posting about them.

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I recently bought 3 new cookbooks. I'm still waiting for Plantpure Kitchen by Kim Campbell to arrive. The other two I got are The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot by Kathy Hester and Vegan Mexico by Jason Wyrick. I also want to get Decolonize Your Diet:Plant-based Mexican-American Recipes for Health and Healing by Luz Calvo and Catriona Rueda Esquibel.
AlwaysAgnes, please post back a revew on the Jason Wyrick Vegan Mexico - I'm curious about this one and I don't think my library will be ordering it. I'm waiting my turn to see the library's copy of Kathy Hester's Instant Pot cook book before deciding whether to purchase. I probably will because I love her books, own several and love my InstantPot.

I've only just started reading the Vegan Mexico book, but I just came across this review on my FB page from Vegetarians in Paradise, and maybe that will sway you one way or another. http://www.vegparadise.com/vegreading1902.html

I have Kathy Hester's The Great Vegan Bean Book. There are a couple of recipes in it that I've made several times. For me, if I find just one very good recipe in a cookbook, one recipe that I make over and over, that means I did okay in the book purchase. :lol:

Cookbooks are largely inspiration to me.

In this computer age, I can't imagine how anyone could remain uninspired for healthy (or unhealthy) cooking ideas. They're just a click away.

:mrgreen:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Vegankit wrote:Patti, I think you're very brave - I would never have thought mixing walnuts with Kale would make a "butter" like spread that would work with jam on bread. I applaud your trying new things and posting about them.

It is funny when I first tasted a bit.. I thought yuk.. tastes like butter:)

I downloaded Jason Wyrick's Vegan Mexico.. the recipe that jumps out at me is his Tamales.. there is one with green apples. I loved Happy Tummy's sweet potato tamales.. So for myself the book was well worth the $6.95. I love Mexican food.. so I have a feeling I am going to love this one.. and as Agnes is she gets 1 or 2 recipes that she likes.. it is worth the whole book.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby patty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:35 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:

I've only just started reading the Vegan Mexico book, but I just came across this review on my FB page from Vegetarians in Paradise, and maybe that will sway you one way or another. http://www.vegparadise.com/vegreading1902.html

I have Kathy Hester's The Great Vegan Bean Book. There are a couple of recipes in it that I've made several times. For me, if I find just one very good recipe in a cookbook, one recipe that I make over and over, that means I did okay in the book purchase. :lol:

Cookbooks are largely inspiration to me.

In this computer age, I can't imagine how anyone could remain uninspired for healthy (or unhealthy) cooking ideas. They're just a click away.

:mrgreen:

Air Frying flour tortillas into chips.. motivated me to downloaded Vegan Mexico. I love Mexican food.. growing up in San Francisco. Jason Wyrick has another book too? Most likely I will download that one too:) It is proactive to learn another language in prevention of dementia and Alzheimer's.. I feel trying new recipes works just as well and of course that means looking too.. as the mind doesn't know the difference between a physical action and a thought:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Patty, Jason Wyrick's other book is called Vegan Tacos. It came out a couple years ago. There's a thread about it floating around here somewhere. I think the kindle version of that is $6.49 at Amazon. (I prefer hard copy cookbooks.)
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:25 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Patty, Jason Wyrick's other book is called Vegan Tacos. It came out a couple years ago. There's a thread about it floating around here somewhere. I think the kindle version of that is $6.49 at Amazon. (I prefer hard copy cookbooks.)

Would you believe I have it:) I must have seen the thread and downloaded it. The cost is so reasonable. And of course the education/knowledge of Taco history is enlightening:) Growing up my best friend was from Niagara. I kept reflecting on the discussion of Tacos from the video you had posted:) on the Politico thread.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning