ideas for salad dressings?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

ideas for salad dressings?

Postby Darby » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:54 am

My blender died and I'm in the process of researching which one I want to buy next.

Unfortunately most of the fat-free dressings I've found require a blender, so does anyone have any ideas for tasty dressings or toppings for salads?

I tried eating the salads plain, but I found myself not eating as much salad, and that's usually how I get the bulk of my veggies.

So any ideas would be great, and also if anyone has a recommendation for a blender, that would be great too! I'm leaning towards the Cuisinart blender/food processor.

Thanks,
Darby
Darby

Postby Puddy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:59 pm

I really like chunky salsa on top of a salad.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
Puddy

Grapefruit!

Postby S B » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:16 pm

I love RIPE red/pink grapefruit sections cut into medium-sized chunks mixed with a salad of shredded greens and carrots. The juice from the grapefruit moistens and flavors the greens with a nice grapefruit flavor (like a dressing) and the flavor of the greens keep the grapefruit taste from being too strong. However, grapefruit that is not ripe will not taste as good. You could mix a pinch of sugar in the not quite ripe grapefruit chunks, if needed.

I also like to put little slices of melon (like cantaloupe) or slices of papaya into a salad -- and, again, the juice that bleeds from the pieces of fruit moisten and flavor the salad.
`
I believe we McDougallers can have a loud enough voice to influence enough people to cut back on livestock consumption/farming that we CAN have a positive impact on global warming -- if we REALLY try!
S B

Postby KareninTN » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:21 pm

My current favorite is Mary's Grainy Mustard Dressing from the August 2006 newsletter. Actually, I leave out the soy sauce to keep sodium lower and it still tastes great. Put ingredients in a jar and shake it up.

karenturtle
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Thank you!

Postby Darby » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:09 pm

You guys are brilliant. I am so uncreative in the kitchen and having people like you to help me will keep me McDougalling! Thanks again!

Darby
Darby

This may sound odd~~~

Postby Sunny » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:09 am

As a kid growing up whenever my parents had a dinner party they would serve shrimp cocktail, I did not care about the shrimp part, when all the
shrimp was gone I would eat the lettuce it was laying on with the cocktail sauce. Now I make my own with ketchup and horseradish, mix together and eat. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

rice vinegar with a bit of wasabi nt

Postby veggiecat » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:34 am

nt
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning