feiro's journal

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

feiro's journal

Postby feiro » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:30 am

Almost three weeks have passed since my marathon and my mileage is creeping up closer to where I want it to be and to where to feel my best.

I am 8 pounds heavier than I was the day of my marathon, but i am still at a healthy weight. I have been "starching" off and on for a while now, but I have been leaning hard into "huge salads" in the nutritarian vein versus the huge starch plate. It wasn't feeling sustainable, and it wasn't feeling economically wise.

I also flirted briefly with major fruit intake (smoothies, large volumes of oranges and bananas) but that just got my RN-wife (who doesn't participate in this at all) to question if I was damaging myself with the crazy [fructose, potassium] eating. And it also didn't feel sustainable, especially as it goes into winter in New England.

Recently I've been struggling with crazy morning appetite swings and what to do about it. I've been eating oatmeal as my primary morning starch for a while, but as the morning running miles grow (ran an hour this morning), my hunger is hard to satisfy. I've been eating 2 cups of cooked rolled oats with bananas, and then chasing that with gourmet no-oil bread and then I realize OMG THERE ARE LARABARS IN THE HOUSE and since they are vegan and everything I just chase my breakfast with that and quickly go down to my office to start working. These larabars as 12g of fat each....220 cal. Very dense. I have been having issues with noticing that there are accidently vegan items around me and quickly trying to both enjoy them and get rid of them through eating all of them so they won't be there...tomorrow. I don't think this is sustainable or wise. A few days ago I finished the "So Delicious Cashew Snickerdoodle" and was fully ensconced in the pleasure trap.

This morning I made 12 cups of oatmeal (~600g dry) with the intent of eating to satiety and storing the rest for tomorrow or later today. It appears my hunger got the better of me and I am storing about 1 cup. That's about 2000 calories of oatmeal. I topped this oatmeal with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. I am 150lbs and 6' tall.

I will be skipping the larabars, so there's that.
feiro

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning