Found a new meal I love

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Found a new meal I love

Postby hope101 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Some of you may have had this before, but I am in love with a new meal. I made lemon hummous with almost no tahini and spread some on a whole wheat pita, then wrapped it around homemade oven roasted veggies. I warmed the whole thing. It was so savoury and almost cheese-like in gooeyness (?sp) that I wanted to let you folks know.
hope101

Postby Veganrocks » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:18 am

Sounds really good!! Do you have the hummous recipe that you could post??
Veg since 1977.
Veganrocks

Postby hope101 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:58 am

I just dumped a can of rinsed chickpeas in the food processor, added a few dashes of soy sauce, 1 1/2 Tbsp. of roasted tahini, and lemon juice to taste (probably 1/4 cup). I thinned it with water to a nice spreadable consistency. I know some people substitute the tahini with a few drops of toasted sesame oil to make it even lower fat and I plan to try that next time. Hope you enjoy it.
hope101

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:32 am

WHAT??? No cumin? :eek:

That sounds good, roasted veggies instead of raw. My favorite fast food sandwich is a Big Apple bagel with hummus and vegetables, but the bagel is white flour even if you order whole wheat, and the hummus has lots of oil in it. I haven't had one in ages.

I have some garbanzo beans, and the rest of the ingredients. This might be what's for supper!

What did you use for roasted vegetables?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby fiddler3 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:56 pm

I absolutely love hummus, so I have to weigh in here...

I dump 1 can of drained chickpeas into the food processor, add a shake of garlic powder, perhaps 1 tsp, squeeze in the juice of 1 small lemon, and then add about 1 tsp tahini. Whir until the consistancey you like. I like it rather dry, but you can add 1 T. or so of the juice from the can of chickpeas if you want it runnier.

re: tahini. I try not to use nuts and seeds, but I find that if I don't put in a teeny bit, I get grumpy. But it doesn't take very muchto make it toothsome.

I have to say, chick peas make up a large percentage of my bean consumption.

fiddler3
fiddler3

Postby hope101 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:24 pm

The roast veggies I used are cauliflower, broccoli and potatoes. I have never had broccoli that way before, and I am pleased to admit that an entire head was eaten by my daughter and I before the other stuff was done cooking (it seemed to cook much quicker). I also took a sweet onion and cut it into slices so that it made rings, which I separated, splashed a little balsamic vinegar on that and roasted them. They were so good!
hope101

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning