Oil-free tortilla chips, gluten free bread

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oil-free tortilla chips, gluten free bread

Postby Digby » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:29 pm

I bought some baked tortilla chips from Trader Joe's, but they have oil listed in the ingredients. Does anyone know of a brand that makes oil-free chips?

Any recommendations for gluten-free breads?
Digby

Re: Oil-free tortilla chips, gluten free bread

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:18 am

They no longer exist. Whole Foods greedily killed the company that makes thme likely to accommodate shelf space for Engine 2s puffed corn rounds.

Just buy fresh corn tortillas and use a pizza cutter to run through the entire pack into chip shapes and toast in the oven. If you are super lazy like me I just toss two round tortillas into the toaster & then break them.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby jamietwo » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:29 pm

Good news, bad news.

I found these Charras Baked Corn Tostadas Traditional at vitacost.com. Ingredients: white corn flour, iodized salt, calcium hydroxide.

The good news is that they are oil-free; the bad news is that they have more sodium than calories (60/40), and I'm not sure what to make of the calcium hydroxide. They claim 100% natural ingredients, but do not address GMO (for those that care).

Having said that, I bought a couple of packages to use as chips. Its a good thing, because they were broken and not usable as tostadas. They taste good though.
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:19 pm

jamietwo wrote:Good news, bad news.

I found these Charras Baked Corn Tostadas Traditional at vitacost.com. Ingredients: white corn flour, iodized salt, calcium hydroxide.

The good news is that they are oil-free; the bad news is that they have more sodium than calories (60/40), and I'm not sure what to make of the calcium hydroxide. They claim 100% natural ingredients, but do not address GMO (for those that care).

Having said that, I bought a couple of packages to use as chips. Its a good thing, because they were broken and not usable as tostadas. They taste good though.

I used to be able to find those Charra tostada shells at Walmart, but not lately. They are pretty good. I doubt I ever even looked at the sodium content, and that wouldn't bother me now. You could make your own baked tostada shells with corn tortillas. I suggest using the thinner corn tortilla for chips and tostada shells rather than the thicker tortillas which are better for eating out of hand or making enchiladas. The thicker tortillas can sometimes be harder, but not necessarily "crispy" to bite when made into chips and tostada shells. If that makes sense.

Calcium hydroxide is used in nixtamalization. It's the reason corn flour can be made into dough. http://www.cooksinfo.com/lime-chemical https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby patty » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:35 pm

At Sam's I purchased some Mission Flour Tortillas, 20% fat to 110 calories. I just cut them up and air fry them. They are delicious. I don't eat them that often.. but now I know how great they taste air fried.. might be more often.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning