Sandwich Suggestions?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sandwich Suggestions?

Postby mwilk42 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:59 pm

I would like your favorite sandwiches please. Husband takes his lunch everyday, and would like to have sandwiches occasionally. WHen it gets cooler weather, soups and chilis will be more on the menu but it is still a bit hot for them. Can anyone share their favorites?
Thanks,
mwilk42

mwilk42

Re: Sandwich Suggestions?

Postby grid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:53 am

My old time favorite is carrot sandwich :-D

You need: two slices of bread, ketchup, mustard creme, onion (leeks or chives or spring onion, or even garlic is great), cooked baby carrots or thickly sliced and cooked carrots and some green leafy veggie (you can use lettuce or leaf beet or chicory or dandelion leaf or arugula or whatever you like and you have at hand).

Method: I spread some mustard on the surface of one slice of bread and ketchup on the other one. Thinly slice onion (or mince the garlic), spread it on the surface of one of the slices, put on carrots (I squeeze a bit the baby carrots to flatten them) to cover the entire slice with carrots, cover the carrots with the leafy greens, then complete the sandwich with the top the layer of bread.

That's it.

My husband's favorite is baked bean sandwich

You need: two slices of bread, baked bean, onion, mustard creme, green leafy veggie.

The method is almost the same as the previous one, but he spreads both slices with mustard.

You can make this sandwich simply by using canned red beans instead of baked bean. It's obviously a different sandwich but it's also very good.

We're a great fan of sandwiches so we are very creative in making sandwich from whatever we have in the fridge :D
grid

Postby mwilk42 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Maggie, Thanks for your reply. I loved both tuna and egg salad sammies growing up. We most always had all the stuff on hand. Will try this when I can get some vegannaise. Have never used tofu in a recipe before and was unsure about it. Have read great things about Dave's Killer Bread.

Grid, I had never thought about using carrot for sandwich. I am ashamed to admit I did not think of the baked bean sammie since I have eaten them off and on while growing up. Of course they were not "on program" baked beans. I always have 3-4 mustards on hand for variety.
We love sandwiches.
Thanks again
mwilk42

mwilk42

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Big stack of chopped cilantro or some Romaine lettuce thick slab of ripe heirloom tomato, basil pesto, all on toasted sourdough! Whoo-Hoo!!! Summer favorite for sure.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby mms » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Tofu Mayo
(Makes about 1 1/2 cups)
This low-fat mayonnaise substitute is made with silken tofu. Use it instead of the higher fat versions in any recipe.
1-12.3 oz. package firm or extra-firm silken tofu
3/4 tsp. onion powder 1/2 - 3/4 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 1/2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. raw cashews (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until completely smooth. Chill before using. Good for 3 weeks in the frig.
(Per Tbsp.: 14 calories, 0.7 g fat, 1.2 g protein, 0.7 g carbohydrate, 0.6 g sugar, 0 g fiber, 65 m
This mayo is great with hummus and eggless egg salad sandwiches.
MMS
mms

Postby mwilk42 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Maggie, thanks for the heads up on vegannaise. You can tell how much I know about it. I had never seen it, i just noticed that the recipes linked called for fat free mayo and I had seen vegannaise mentioned somewhere in the world of info I have been trying to read. Is there any concern about soy/tofu? A lot of controversy about it now, and I have been trying to read up on it.
Mms- this tofu mayo sounds delicious. I look forward to trying it.
GeoffreyLevens, i have been eating the sammich you describe, minus the pesto (didn't have) and plus a big slice of red onion.
LOVE me some tomato sammiches.!
mwilk42

mwilk42

Postby grid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:53 am

Tofu is a great base to make various sandwich spreads. All the tofu we eat (which is about half a pound per week for two of us) basically prepared to some delicious sandwich spread. You can make it thousands of ways to give variety for your bread based meals (beside the "tofu-less" sandwiches of course :D )

You'll never be bored of the low fat vegan sandwiches ;-)
grid

Postby Dougalling » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:30 am

Bean spread (use your fave bean burger recipe but don't cook it) top with your fave burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, mustard, etc)

tomato/zucchini/red bell pepper/black pepper/lettuce/mustard/
Dougalling

Postby grid » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 am

Dougalling wrote:Bean spread (use your fave bean burger recipe but don't cook it) top with your fave burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, mustard, etc)

Yes, or there are specially bean based spread recipes that are delicious... topped with tomato, green leaves, onion rings, few slices of cucumber, maybe with some ketchup :D

...or wintertime when we don't have too much fresh produce, we put sour cabbage (like sauerkraut) or dill pickle in our sandwiches instead of fresh veggies.

There are endless variations :-D
grid

Postby dstewart » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm

A Reuben. Marinated mushrooms or seitan (look up the Chicago Diner Reuben recipe; it's easy to find on the web), sauerkraut, tofu-base Thousand Island dressing, and if you want, some cheese substitute (like the Chreeze Mozzarella flavor, or homemade equivalent), on seeded rye bread.

There is some prep, so it's a little complicated, but mmmboy. Use the marinated store-bought seitan (or if you're ambitious, make seitan and marinate it), and wow, that's a good sandwich.

One I made the other day was massaged kale (cut or tear kale into pieces, put in bowl, add 1/2 a lemon's juice, and massage by hand for about 4 minutes; add salt and garlic to taste if desired), seitan bacon (could be tempeh or tofu bacon too), sautéed sauerkraut, and tofu mayo, on toasted bread. That was fantastic!
dstewart

Postby grid » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:48 am

dstewart wrote:A Reuben. Marinated mushrooms or seitan (look up the Chicago Diner Reuben recipe; it's easy to find on the web), sauerkraut, tofu-base Thousand Island dressing, and if you want, some cheese substitute (like the Chreeze Mozzarella flavor, or homemade equivalent), on seeded rye bread.

There is some prep, so it's a little complicated, but mmmboy. Use the marinated store-bought seitan (or if you're ambitious, make seitan and marinate it), and wow, that's a good sandwich.

Isn't seitan overly processed food? I'm not arguing, just asking, because as far as I know seitan is basically isolated wheat protein (gluten) which is not recommended on this plan, or at least not regularly.

Even dr. Barnard doesn't recommend it, except during a transition period if it's the only way for someone to stop eating meat cold turkey.
grid

Postby greentea » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:44 am

grid wrote:
dstewart wrote:A Reuben. Marinated mushrooms or seitan (look up the Chicago Diner Reuben recipe; it's easy to find on the web), sauerkraut, tofu-base Thousand Island dressing, and if you want, some cheese substitute (like the Chreeze Mozzarella flavor, or homemade equivalent), on seeded rye bread.

Isn't seitan overly processed food? I'm not arguing, just asking, because as far as I know seitan is basically isolated wheat protein (gluten) which is not recommended on this plan, or at least not regularly.

Even dr. Barnard doesn't recommend it, except during a transition period if it's the only way for someone to stop eating meat cold turkey.

You may be thinking of isolated soy protein which is not recommended. Seitan is made from wheat gluten, the protein in wheat flour. The traditional way of making it is to start with wheat flour and "wash" it until you are left with gluten. The quick way to make it is with wheat gluten flour and water. It's an ok food on the mcdougall meat substitute list although as a rich food should be used with moderation.
greentea

Postby mwilk42 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 am

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I am having my daughter pick me up some tofu this weekend. Appreciate all the info on tofu/soy and seitan as well. I was having some trouble finding out about it. mostly I could find a TON of info, just didn't know how to wade thru it all and decide. I was resisting all recipes with tofu because I didn't feel I knew enough about it.
THanks!
mwilk42

mwilk42

Postby grid » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:24 am

greentea wrote:You may be thinking of isolated soy protein which is not recommended. Seitan is made from wheat gluten, the protein in wheat flour. The traditional way of making it is to start with wheat flour and "wash" it until you are left with gluten. The quick way to make it is with wheat gluten flour and water. It's an ok food on the mcdougall meat substitute list although as a rich food should be used with moderation.

No, I mean seitan, not soy protein. I know how it's made traditionally, but in the McDougall Color Picture Book, on page 29 you can read the following:

Do not eat... Fake Meats and Cheeses
(hot dogs, sausages, burgers, lunch meats,cheeses, ice creams, etc.)
Most are made from isolated-proteins from soybeans combined with other chemicals. Also avoid those made from
proteins of wheat, pea, fungi, etc.)

Doesn't it mean that seitan is not a McDougall friendly food? (I can see it's not the biggest no-no possible, though.)
grid

Postby greentea » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:54 am

I was looking at this list off the site where he lists seitan from a couple of brands. https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... bstitutes/
Yeah the commercial stuff you definitely want to stay away from as it's usually laden with oil. Homemade oil free would not be the biggest no no as you say, still a calorie dense food.
greentea

Next

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning