Here's the recipe for "Sausage" Balls

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Here's the recipe for "Sausage" Balls

Postby Chrmann » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:06 pm

Lots of trouble to make but taste good! This was tested by some VERY picky SAD eaters. They didn't realize there was no sausage or dairy cheese in it. Ha! If you want them hotter, add more cayenne. Taste first!

Sausage Balls
(Recipe created by Charlotte Mann "chrmann"-McDougall site)

Step 1: (making cheese for sausage balls)
Do this part several hours ahead of making the sausage balls, so it can cool and set up:
2 cups nutritional yeast flakes
2 cups oat flour
1 cup soymilk powder (or rice powder)
1/2 cup Magic salt-free seasoning
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
1 teaspoon ground cayenne
-Mix all thoroughly.
-Store in airtight container.
To use:
-Mix equal parts mixture and soymilk or ricemilk.
I used 1 cup mix and 1 cup soymilk.
-Cook on medium heat, constantly stirring, until thickened.
If too thick, thin with water.
If too thin, add more milk.
Will thicken VERY quickly.
-Cool. Cover and put in refrigerator to set up.
Note: You can buy Magic salt-free seasoning at Amazon.com if your grocery store doesn't have it. $3.95 for a bottle

Step 2: (biscuit mixture)
In large bowl, mix together
3 cups whole grain spelt flour
6 teaspoons Featherweight Baking Powder
3 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 Tablespoons unsalted oleo (sorry...maybe use wonderslim)

Step3: (cut cheese into biscuit mixture)
Take nondairy cheese out of refrigerator and cut into biscuit mixture until it is coarsely mixed. Kind of like cutting shortening into flour for pie crust.

Step 4: (make rice sausage)
Combine in a medium bowl:
2 cups cooked brown rice, partially ground (you want some pieces of
rice to give this a sausage texture...use food processor)
1/4 cup oat flour
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Then...
In a food processor combine:
1/2 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained OR 1 cup cooked
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos
1Tablespoon liquid smoke
Add:
Wet mixture to dry mixture and stir well.

Step 5: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Step 6: (add rice sausage to mixture in bowl)
Pour rice sausage to biscuit/cheese mixture in the large bowl.
Stir quickly. Use a Tablespoon cookie scoop to form balls. Place them on a double thickness cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with a cooking spray. Cook 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and very lightly spray the tops of the sausage balls with cooking spray and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. Put on a cookie sheet to cool or eat warm.

Note: Makes about 108 sausage balls.
Last edited by Chrmann on Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chrmann

Wow, that's terrific!

Postby LoriM » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 am

Sounds like you got what you wanted! And 108 Sausage balls from one recipe is a pretty nice party appetizer. Let us know how they "reheat" or hold up.

Hey, one other question...no liquid in the "biscuit" part of the recipe? So, you let the stickiness of the sausage/cheese be all the liquid? Was the consistency like biscuit dough when you were finished?

Thanks!

Lori
A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.
LoriM

consistency of the sausage balls

Postby Chrmann » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:08 pm

I had to cut the cheese into the biscuit mix. But, there was enough moisture in the rice sausage that the dough ended up being just like biscuit dough, before you cut the biscuits out. Kind of surprised me. When I saw how the dough looked, I knew the finished product would have the right texture , whether it tasted like I wanted it to or not. The finished product tasted just like sausage balls. Kind of surprised me. My oldest son walked in when I was taking them off the pan to cool. He just reached over to get one to eat and said "these sausage balls are good Mom". I never did tell him they were sausage balls. Ha! He was shocked when he found out what was in them. He said they tasted just like sausage balls. By the way, he is a VERY picky eater and wouldn't have even tried them if he knew what was in the sausage balls. I had a BIG smile on my face! I couldn't hardly believe I had finally perfected the recipe. I have been trying to make some sausage balls for several years and failed. I had just about decided to not try this year. But, my family likes them and so do I. And, because of my food allergies, I cannot eat meat or dairy anymore. So, this is a triumph for me! It's been a long time since I have eaten any meat or dairy. The last time, I was pregnant with my youngest son. He is now 22 years old. I almost died and so did he.
Chrmann

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning