Annual Reposting of Harvest Bake--my fave winter recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: YET AGAIN: Harvest Bake--my fave winter recipe

Postby to_our_health » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Elizabeth,
If you were to make this to bring to a holiday party would you bring anything with it, like rice or gravy or greens? Or just bring it sort of as a side dish? I'm considering bringing it and am wondering about that. I haven't yet acquired the taste for parsnip and turnip but butternut squash, carrot, onion, yams, russets, yukons and golden beets sound yummy to me!
to_our_health

Postby MamaSistina » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:32 pm

I often take roasted root vegetables to potlucks with hardcore meat-eating SAD eaters with great success. People intuitively appreciate a healthy side dish. It's a very pretty dish too. Yes, it's fun to rearrange the vegetables and select the combinations that we really find delicious. I liked the suggestion to add in some cabbage and portebello mushrooms.
MamaSistina

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:02 pm

to_our_health wrote:Elizabeth,
If you were to make this to bring to a holiday party would you bring anything with it, like rice or gravy or greens? Or just bring it sort of as a side dish? I'm considering bringing it and am wondering about that. I haven't yet acquired the taste for parsnip and turnip but butternut squash, carrot, onion, yams, russets, yukons and golden beets sound yummy to me!

You can do it either way. For T-giving I just took it w/out rice, b/c I knew there would be TONS of things like vegan stuffing and bread and such. But it wouldn't hurt to take rice. After you cook it you could put the rice in the bottom of a large dish and put the veggies in on top. Then nuke it when you get there if necessary. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby to_our_health » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I decided I wanted to make it to take to my dd's boyfriend's family's Christmas Eve to which we've been invited. His mom is a cook, we've been to their house once a couple of years ago for dinner and she made plant-based for us so that's cool. She's cool about us bringing anything we want too. But not being much of a cook myself I usually have to make something first to see how it goes.

So I made this tonight and overbaked it! I had a huge pan of stuff covered with foil; I took it out after 30 minutes to stir because there was so much in there and the veggies were still hard. Didn't get back to it for another 50 minutes and everything was about ready to turn to mush! I had bought a big bag of spinach to put in there so I still put it in and tried stirring it around but of course that made everything really start to mush. Put it back for 5 minutes for the spinach. Bottom line...the taste is delicious! but the dish will be as raved about when I get the texture right! I had some old coconut aminos but they tasted terrible so I threw that out and used Bragg's and to me it tasted like a real umami flavor which I find hard to make.

I had so much veggies (and forgot the golden beets) that I had to put them in a separate casserole dish so that's in the oven now, with the beets and we'll see how that comes out. Should be right this time!

Thanks again!
to_our_health

Postby lemonella » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I want to try making this and have all of the veggies but what size pan should I use? I have a standard 9x13 casserole glass pan and a smaller 8x8 or 9x9 pan. I just wanted to make sure I got the ratio of water/Braggs correct to the veggies.

Thanks!
lemonella

Postby JulieS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:46 pm

I used the biggest one I had (9X13), so that they're barely touching and it worked great!
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:26 am

I just use a glass casserole dish with a lid. I fill it full of veggies, then add a little water and Bragg's--maybe until the bottom 1/4 of veggies is covered. They steam so no need to cover them all. :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby to_our_health » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 pm

Okay. Well, I think I've figured out that if I used turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, carrots and beets the textures would all be similar and they would cook evenly. Since I only like the carrots and beets I used those with butternut squash, yams and potatoes...and those things are much softer! So sitting in the liquid softens them much more quickly than the carrots and beets and they come out like they need to have been in soup.

Sigh. I think I need to bake them in intervals...so carrots and beets in first, then other things. Or carrots and beets, then dry roast the other things and then add them together. Or bake them for longer on a lower temp. I'll figure it out one day! Meanwhile, at least the flavor is yummy!
to_our_health

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:35 pm

I think you're overthinking it LOL. My potatoes are on the softer side, too--that's OK. If it really makes you nuts, nuke the harder ones for a few minutes before putting in the oven, I guess.

I like simple food. That's why I like this--it's tasty and VERY EASY. Complicating it is never my mission LOL!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby lemonella » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks for the replies regarding the baking dishes. I actually had so many vegetables that I filled 2 pans, 1 glass 9"x13" and 1 ceramic 8"x12". I used 2 parsnips, 2 "orange" sweet potatoes, 1 regular sweet potato, 1 russet, 1 giant turnip, and baby carrots to fill in the gaps. In one pan I added chopped collard greens and cauliflower stems. Both pans took way longer than 45 minutes (closer to 1:15 in my oven). I had some of the dish initially and wasn't impressed (I had taken out the pan at 45 min) but I think the veggies weren't cooked enough so when I had them later (cooked over 1 hr) and they were nice and roasted/soft, it was MUCH better. I took a picture of it with my phone but am not sure if I can/how to upload a picture?

Thanks for the easy and tasty recipe!
lemonella

Postby IndyAnna » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:02 pm

So I have a bunch of sweet potatoes and was doing a search for recipes and stumbled on this thread. I'm dying to try it, but I don't use my oven because the temp is off or its broken or I don't know (bought a house, oven came with it).

I noticed some of you mentioned trying it in the Instant Pot. Any success? How did you do it (layering, water, setting)?
IndyAnna

Postby IndyAnna » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:07 pm

IndyAnna wrote:So I have a bunch of sweet potatoes and was doing a search for recipes and stumbled on this thread. I'm dying to try it, but I don't use my oven because the temp is off or its broken or I don't know (bought a house, oven came with it).

I noticed some of you mentioned trying it in the Instant Pot. Any success? How did you do it (layering, water, setting)?

Thought I would update since nobody replied about the Instant Pot. I tried it in the toaster oven first, which was yummy. Then I tried the Instant Pot and thought it tasted the same if not better.

I evenly sliced sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, and onion. Added chopped garlic, dehydrated onion, cumin, and soy sauce. Added 1/2 cup of water and set the Instant Pot to steam for 2 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally. Perfect!
IndyAnna

Re: Annual Reposting of Harvest Bake--my fave winter recipe

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:07 am

Someone suggested that I repost my fave recipe, as I usually do so come the Fall. So here it is! I just updated the thread from a few years ago, since there were good replies on it. :-) Enjoy! I had actually been planning to make this tonight. And I made it last week. I guess I'm boring, b/c I never tire of it!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby MINNIE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:02 am

I never tire of it either. It' s my holiday, birthday and all-purpose cold weather favorite :-D .

Thanks for the re-post, and happy holidays!
MINNIE

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 am

Yay!

Thank you!

This time I am putting it somewhere safe where I can find it again. It's taken me forever, just like with Kate's no-tomato red sauce recipe.
vgpedlr

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning