Annual Reposting of Harvest Bake--my fave winter recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Harvest Bake--my fave winter recipe

Postby greentea » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Katydid wrote:I've had the Misto for maybe 6 months now, and haven't had any problem with clogging.
Kate

Well that's good! Maybe I'll give the misto another try then.
greentea

Postby greentea » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 am

So this was quite good.
I did a mix of yukon potatoes, carrots, parsnip, turnip & onion. I cooked it at 400 for 1 hour in a foil covered pan.
greentea

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:39 am

That's a great combo! I need to make it again. Will do tonight!
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: YET AGAIN: Harvest Bake--my fave winter recipe

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:03 am

Just posting this again b/c I LOVE IT!!! I had it for the first time this Fall last night and ate so much it was embarrassing. There's just something about root veggies that screams COSY to me, and when I make this, I'm happy. :-)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby JulieS » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:35 am

I want to make this in my instant pot! I am a certified cumin lover, so I know I will love it!
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby sharonbikes » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I made my version of this tonight - it is fabulous! I used thinly sliced onions, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, russett potato and carrots. I did a layer of each vegetable and then sprinkled on some dried dill weed and lots of garlic powder between the layers. When my casserole got full with the layers, I did one last layer of onions on top. I have a Pyrex round baking dish with a glass lid that I use to make this in - it is about 5 inches high and about 8 inches in diameter. I just slice the veg as I go until the dish is full!

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:13 am

That sounds different from what I do--I like big chunks of everything! But I'm sure it was good, too!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby sharonbikes » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:37 pm

It all bakes together and ends up about the same, I would think! I like the thinly sliced veg so I can get the different tastes all in one bite!! I completely agree with you - yummy!!

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby MINNIE » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:22 am

I finally made this and it was great.

I rarely use my conventional oven, but the weather has turned very cold, windy and snowy -perfect for this kind of cooking.

I used:

low-sodium tamari soy sauce
Japanese purple sweet potatos
garnet sweet potatoes
white potatos
turnips
golden beets
carrots
rosemary (I'm not fond of cumin)

I cut the veggies into big chunks, and cooked it for about 40 minutes. It smelled and tasted wonderful. It's filling, nutritious and really inexspensive. Plus it's SO easy!
MINNIE

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:37 am

I know! I have it on brown rice and could honestly eat it every day. Making it for my contribution to my family's Thanksgiving dinner!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby JulieS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:30 am

ETeSelle wrote:I know! I have it on brown rice and could honestly eat it every day. Making it for my contribution to my family's Thanksgiving dinner!

I am curious if you have a side dish of greens with it and if so, how do you make your veggies to go with it?
JulieS

Postby Katydid » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:42 am

I have turnips, a rutabaga, red garnet and white sweet potatoes, golden beets, carrots, a sweet onion, and fresh brussel sprouts ready for a Thanksgiving roast. Two more days. :D
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 am

JulieS wrote:I am curious if you have a side dish of greens with it and if so, how do you make your veggies to go with it?

For Thanksgiving or for regular meals? Really, for neither. I have a huge salad most days for lunch and I add greens to a lot of things I eat, so I see no reason to get anal about it. ;) I usually have 2 big helpings of brown rice with the Harvest Bake on top. That's a meal. I don't really "do" side dishes LOL. Too much extra work.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby JulieS » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:25 am

ETeSelle wrote:
JulieS wrote:I am curious if you have a side dish of greens with it and if so, how do you make your veggies to go with it?

For Thanksgiving or for regular meals? Really, for neither. I have a huge salad most days for lunch and I add greens to a lot of things I eat, so I see no reason to get anal about it. ;) I usually have 2 big helpings of brown rice with the Harvest Bake on top. That's a meal. I don't really "do" side dishes LOL. Too much extra work.

I only asked because you stay so trim that you're such a good example of what to eat. ;-) While I'm still in the process of losing weight, I'll admit I'm anal about making sure that I eat lower density greens and not just all starches in my meals, but I still have a lot to lose and you don't. I know my sig states under 10 pounds I have left, but now that I'm closer to that goal, I know I want to lose more than that...probably 20 pounds.
JulieS

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Well, the less you have to lose, the more careful you have to be! And I have to be pretty careful. That said, eating taters and such has never caused me to gain weight. It's things like dried fruit and pretzels I have to watch out for.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning