Carrot/Date/Peach Salad

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Carrot/Date/Peach Salad

Postby funcrunch » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Just made this for the first time today; yum!! Peaches are my favorite fruit and they are in season! :D

Carrot/Date/Peach Salad
(Serves 5)
From Conveniently Vegan by Debra Wasserman

6-7 carrots (1 pound), peeled and grated
4 medium ripe peaches, pitted and finely chopped
5 ounces pitted dates, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup peach or orange juice

Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
funcrunch

Re: Carrot/Date/Peach Salad

Postby yarnpetter » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:07 pm

This sounds great. Does it need to be served cold or would it be ok at room temperature? I was thinking it would be good as part of my lunch but I work out of my car so no refrigeration beyond what I can get with a cooler.
yarnpetter

Postby funcrunch » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:08 pm

yarnpetter wrote:This sounds great. Does it need to be served cold or would it be ok at room temperature? I was thinking it would be good as part of my lunch but I work out of my car so no refrigeration beyond what I can get with a cooler.

I just made it for the first time and ate it straight out of the frig, so not sure if it would taste as good at room temperature. I hope it would so that I can bring it to a picnic potluck sometime!
funcrunch

Postby Plumerias » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Other than pureeing a peach, where does one find peach juice please? Does the juice keep the peaches from discoloring? I read the recipe to DH, he's now wanting to know when we get somewhere for truly fresh peaches. :lol:
Plumerias

Postby funcrunch » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Plumerias wrote:Other than pureeing a peach, where does one find peach juice please? Does the juice keep the peaches from discoloring? I read the recipe to DH, he's now wanting to know when we get somewhere for truly fresh peaches. :lol:

I just squeezed an actual peach with a handheld orange squeezer. I was only making a half recipe so I didn't need a full 1/2 cup of juice. Otherwise I probably would have thrown more peaches in the VitaMix and diluted with a little water.
funcrunch

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 am

Plumerias wrote:Other than pureeing a peach, where does one find peach juice please?

You can buy small cans of peach nectar. There are a few brands--Kern's, Goya, and Jumex. Sometimes you might see them in the ethnic section at the grocery store, if they're not in the juice aisle. Here's Jumex at Dollar Tree. http://www.dollartree.com/Jumex-Peach-N ... /index.pro

You can also make peach nectar. The biggest pain would be peeling the peaches.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5287254_make-fr ... ectar.html
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Plumerias » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:31 pm

I'm bumping this thread up again because it's peach season where we are. This is a really nice way to celebrate them.
Plumerias

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning