Soggy vegan french toast

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Soggy vegan french toast

Postby libellule » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:28 am

okay, am I doing something wrong??? All the recipes I have for french toast come out soggy, the vegan ones. Has anyone made the banana french toast or cashew french toast and been able to make them cook all the way and NOT stick to the darn pan. Help!!!

--Li
libellule

Postby hope101 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:51 am

Hi, Li. I haven't made those exact recipes, but I have made them before with silken tofu and soy milk as the dipping mix. I do use Pam on my griddle as it is quite old and when I tried without before they stuck, but when I did that I had no problem. Is it possible you dipped them too long? I use whole wheat bread, have my griddle set to 350 and don't let them sit too long--just enough to coat the outside.
hope101

Postby chrisv » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:54 pm

I cook them on an electric griddle, and have found that cooking them for a longer time on a lower heat setting helps. I was wishing that a heat setting and time had been included in the recipe. I cook them 4-6 minutes on a side, and if I try to turn them too soon they stick. I found that trial and error with the time and heat setting helped.
The pounds you add two-by-two
You take off one-by-one
chrisv

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning