Sub for agar

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sub for agar

Postby pinemeadows » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:31 am

I have some "butter" recipes I have found, but see that they usually call for agar. (My agar source would be about a 200 mile trip!)

I do have guar gum and the arrowroot but am not sure if either of these would work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeanne
pinemeadows

Postby Coleslaw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:36 am

Hi pinemeadows,

I decided to check out the other forum topics this morning instead of always going to the Gluten-Free one.

Anyway, I do have a substitute for agar. I have a recipe called, "Save Your Heart Butter", a corn butter and it calls for Emes unflavored gelatin. This is a Kosher-jel. My recipe says to soak the 1 Tbl. Emes unflavored gelatin in 1/4 c. cold water in a blender. I guess a few minutes.

Hope this helps?
"Nothing feels as good as feeling good feels" by David Wolfe
Coleslaw

Postby libellule » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 am

I would venture to say that the guar gum would be fine. It is vegetarian...and is a thickener.
Just my 2 cents. :)

--Li
libellule

Re: Sub for agar

Postby Clary » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:13 pm

pinemeadows wrote: (My agar source would be about a 200 mile trip!)
Jeanne

For future purposes, if you decide you might want to try agar, there are several sources for buying on the internet.
Results from Bizrate search at bizrate.com :

http://www.bizrate.com/vitamins_nutriti ... rt--5.html

I am a fan of "Now" products.
They have their own website with good information and a "store finder" link, plus

www.MyVitanet.com

usually has a good price and sometimes runs specials on products and/or shipping.
Clary

Emes Kosher-Jel

Postby EvelynJ » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Emes Kosher-Jel is NOT vegetarian. It contains gelatin. Check out the link. It was a sad day to get this news.

http://www.vegparadise.com/news53.html
EvelynJ

Postby Coleslaw » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:07 pm

Well, what a shocker. Here I've been told it is a vegetarian source. Thanks for posting the website. At first I was going to defend Emes, but now I see I can't.
"Nothing feels as good as feeling good feels" by David Wolfe
Coleslaw

Postby pinemeadows » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:45 pm

Well, as luck would have it, hubby had some things to pick up in the "big city" so I got my agar today anyway! I had no idea he was planning on driving in today.

Will make my recipe tomorrow - thanks for the comments. I'm under the impression from the little info on the package that it has to be cooked...does that sound right?

Jeanne
pinemeadows

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning