corn bread recipe please?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Laurie Crittenden » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Anne - I guess we are from the same generation. Creamed corn was a real standby. But the can I have in the cabinet right now has sugar and salt in it. Do you have a brand that has no sugar added?
It's not Dinner - It's not Lunch
It's Inbetween You Want to Munch
Laurie Crittenden

Postby libellule » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:35 pm

Yes, I grew up in Italy and Spain. :)
Agave is something which they don't have in Italy and Spain, but should in abundance in the US considering we have New Mexico, Arizona and Texas that have cacti. The nectar comes from the top of the cactus plant. It is not not made by bees, by the way. :) It is quite mild in flavor and sweet, very yummy, not overwhelming.

Thanks for the info on creamed corn. I'll cream some of my own next time, because it will help with the moisture in the corn-bread. ;)
I grew up on Chinese, Itallian, Spanish, Thai, Indian, French and Middle Eastern Food. My mom loved to cook. Typical American food rarely past the threshold of our door. In our family there is a motley of nationalities. Uncles marrying Polish girls, aunts marrying Itallian guys, Jamaican, Hawaiian, Russian-Jews, Chinese....you name it. Our extended family picture is quite interesting. Thanksgiving dinner was VERY interesting. *L*

Thanks again,
Li
libellule

Postby hope101 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:07 pm

How neat, Li, your own United Nations. I love experimenting with different ethnicities of food, my family not so much.
hope101

Re: Li, that is so funny

Postby slugmom » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:56 pm

Anne wrote:Creamed corn is canned corn with some of the corn blended so it is creamy. It looks like it might contain dairy but it's just corn (and salt). It's probably too normal to show up at the health-food store. Try a standard grocery store for 69 cents a can. I think every child of my generation had it at dinner two or three times a week......

I, on the other hand, haven't a clue on agave necter. It must be from those giant agave plants in Mexico?

Anne, if you're near a Meijer, they now carry Agave Nectar, in the "Healthy Living" section of the baking aisle. I got the light kind, it's sort of like corn syrup in it's sweet, light taste.

I couldn't find any creamed corn without sugar, though.
- Kim

slugmom

Previous

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning