kuhn rikon as sole cook pots?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

kuhn rikon as sole cook pots?

Postby Anne » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am

I'm devoted to my K-R's as pressure cookers (3.5L + 7L). I'm considering buying a couple more and moving to them entirely as my only cooking pots.

I know some people here have the Trio set that came with glass lids in addition to the pressure lids. Do you find your K-R pots adequate for everything including regular cooking with the glass lids?

And does anyone have the 2.5L braiser or frypan model? It's wider than some of the others and looks like a good pan to saute onions in before adding the rest of the ingredients for a stew or risotto for two.
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Postby nomikins » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 am

I use my Kuhns all the time, whether PC or as regular pots.
nomikins

Postby Sandie » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:04 pm

I also use mine all the time as regular pots, not just as a PC. I love my KR's! :D

I should have purchased two trio sets instead of just one but by the time I thought twice about it they had stopped accepting new orders. :cry:
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby hope101 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Sandie, I am in Canada but was in a cooking class a few weeks ago and you could still get the trios here. It was a Bosch Kitchen Centre, if that helps.
hope101

Postby Sandie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:37 am

hope101 wrote:Sandie, I am in Canada but was in a cooking class a few weeks ago and you could still get the trios here. It was a Bosch Kitchen Centre, if that helps.

Thanks, hope101! It's not that I can't get them, it's that I can't get them at the amazing price that I paid for my first set. A bunch of us from Vegsource got this fantastic deal ($49.99) on the Trio through Amazon.com. It appeared to be a typo but they honored every order placed at that price. Unfortunately, I only ordered the one set. :-(

I will purchase more later but it's just not in the budget at this time ~ we're buying a house. :-D
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Postby DianeR » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:55 am

I've been thinking about pressure cookers(s) myself. Those of you who have Ruhn Kohn items -- do you find food ever burning on the bottom? are they easy to clean? is having different sizes useful?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

easy to clean

Postby Anne » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Diane, the K-R's have a high quality smooth finish on the stainless, so food tends not to stick. They also have a thick disc of aluminum encased in the base so they heat very evenly. I don't find that things burn in them easily, and if I get careless stuff comes right off with a normal scrub sponge.

That said, I don't fry much and rarely resort to my only non-stick pan, so it will depend on your cooking. I do saute onions until they start browning and then deglaze with water or wine, and that works great in my K-R's.

If you do think you're in the market for a K-R, don't just think about capacity when you choose it. Think about how you cook, do some measuring of your favorite pots, and then go to the K-R website (or Shar's Kitchen) and compare. I find that my 7L is uncomfortably tall and narrow for how I like to cook. I use my 3.5L almost every day, and I think I'd love the 2.5L braiser...not to mention that Cadillac of K-R's, the 5L hotel braiser shaped like a Dutch oven and priced way out of my range. :-(

I intend to end up with an assortment of sizes if I do this crazy thing. DH won't have to think hard at all about Christmas and birthdays...
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

meant to say to check ebay

Postby Anne » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:04 pm

If anyone is interested in getting the Trio or Duo, they tend to show up on ebay new for good prices. I'm interested in different pots myself, but you do get a lot all at once with those.
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning