Hummus recipe?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hummus recipe?

Postby katie rae » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:39 pm

Does anyone have a good hummus recipe?

Thanks in advance

Katie Rae
katie rae

Postby happyalyssa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:57 pm

Basic Hummus would be something like:

1 can of chickpeas (with liquid, or omit liquid & use water if you're watching salt intake)
1-3 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you like garlic)
2 Tbsp. Tahini (sesame paste, Omit if you want fat free hummus)
Juice from about 1/2 of a lemon (depending on how juicy your lemon is! Can add more or less to taste)

Optional additions would be cumin (to taste) and/or roasted red pepper.

Just blend it all up until smooth!
Start date: January 1, 2007
23 lbs lost...32 to go!
happyalyssa

Postby hope101 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:20 am

Katie rae, Dreena Burton has a nice hummous that is quite different in her "Vive le Vegan" cookbook. I won't divulge the exact recipe, but it is essentially a can of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained, a pinch of salt, some cooked yams and chipotle pepper sauce all purreed. Very nice as an alternative to the regular hummous.

My basic hummous is a can of rinsed chickpeas, pinch of salt, 1/4 c. lemon juice (I like it lemony), and a few cloves of garlic. If you add to this a few drops of sesame oil it really helps. (If you aren't working on weight loss, a few Tbsp. of tahini or peanut butter add a nice depth too). A few dashes of cayenne adds a nice kick. You will likely need to add some water to get either of these recipes thin enough to spread easily.
hope101

Hummus

Postby alyn 54 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:17 pm

I like to add fresh sprigs of cilantro to these same recipes. I process them with the garlic and some grated lemon peel- as well as the lemon juice.. I like the lemon juice as well... if not cilantro, perhaps some parsley....
Also.. sometimes ... after I have made a large batch... I will put a little in my small food processor with some seedless kalamata olives or some sun dried tomatoes packed in oil (but i let the oil soak onto a paper towel before I add it).... a little more fat but is delicious.
“If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you"
Gospel of Thomas

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wflMKML/]
[img]
alyn 54

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning