Shelf life of a bottle of ground cumin..??

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Shelf life of a bottle of ground cumin..??

Postby SandyW » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:41 pm

I have this bottle of ground cumin in my cabinet for a long time...it still smells potent...but I'm wondering how long it is good for? Might it be better to just get a new bottle? I have so much to learn about the different spices I see listed in the recipes...but that's OK because all of the learning I'll be doing from now on will have to do with the McDougall way of eating. :-D
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

It's fine to use it

Postby AnnaS » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:25 pm

if it still smells like it has some flavor. The problem with spices and herbs is their flavor will fade over time, but I don't think it will harm you to eat 'stale' spices.
AnnaS

If it's remained dry and stable...

Postby LoriM » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:50 pm

then I'm sure it's fine. I add cumin to nearly every casserole, so it doesn't last long here. It's great paired with chili powder (for chili) or thyme or sage in lentils or ginger with stir fry.
A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.
LoriM

Postby Jan Tz » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:27 pm

I have always heard that spices should be replaced every 6 months, but who can afford to do that? I keep mine until I use them up and have never had any problems.
Jan Tz

Postby SandyW » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:28 pm

Thanks everyone...I'll just go ahead and use it in the next recipe that calls for it and see how it seems...only because it still smells as potent as it did the day I bought it. It's in a glass bottle and I honestly can't remember when I bought it...and like Jan said, who can afford to be replacing some of these spices so often!
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

Just use more if it's fading...

Postby Mallow » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:49 pm

I don't generally throw out spices either, I've had some for 7 years (I date mine.) When they're fading due to age, I simply add more of it to the recipe. I've never had one mold on me or anything, unlike tea leaves or other unstable items.
--Mallow

Mallow

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning