"Scampi" Sauces

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

"Scampi" Sauces

Postby Sandie » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 am

"SCAMPI" SAUCES

In Italian, 'scampi' means shrimp but these sauces do not contain shrimp! They do not have animal products at all. They do not have added fats, either. Just lots of healthy veggies. ENJOY!

Sauce One

1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper, chopped
2 tbsp. fresh basil (I use more)
2 tbsp. fresh parsley
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper (to add zip!)
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups fresh baby spinach (can use frozen)
3 large plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
2 tbsp. lemon juice
8 oz. linguine or fettuccine
salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions. Chop all veggies. In a large frying pan, sauté onion, garlic & pepper in a little water for 3 or 4 minutes. Add basil, parsley, crushed pepper, white wine vinegar and mushrooms. Sauté for an additional 3 or 4 minutes, adding a little water if needed. Add spinach and tomatoes, cover and allow to steam for 5 minutes. Add lemon juice and turn off the heat. Drain pasta. Serve sauce over pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste. Great with a green salad and crusty bread. Serves 3 - 4.

Note: This sauce can be served over rice, if desired.

Sauce Two

1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp. fresh basil (I use more)
2 tbsp. fresh parsley
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups soy or rice milk *
cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
2 tbsp. lemon juice
8 oz. linguine or fettuccine
salt and pepper to taste

*Note: Choose a plain soy or rice milk that is not sweet otherwise you will end up with a sweet sauce.

Cook pasta according to package directions. Chop all veggies. In a large frying pan, sauté onion & garlic in a little water for 3 or 4 minutes. Add basil, parsley and mushrooms. Sauté for an additional 3 or 4 minutes, adding a little water if needed. Reduce heat and add soy milk. Cover and allow to slowly simmer for 5 minutes. Mix cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) with a little water to make a paste. Add to pan and continue cooking to thicken sauce. Add lemon juice and turn off the heat. Drain pasta. Serve sauce over pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste. Great with a green salad and crusty bread. Serves 3 - 4.

Note: This sauce can be served over rice, if desired.
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning