need your recipe ideas for Avacado Dip

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

need your recipe ideas for Avacado Dip

Postby Chrmann » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:46 pm

I have an avacado that is real soft. I want to use it before it goes bad.

I need ideas on what to do with it. I cannot find the recipe I have used in the past.

HELP ! ! !
Chrmann

Postby hope101 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:01 pm

You could just mash it, add a little lemon juice so it doesn't turn brown and a little salt and you have guacamole. Or slice it and put it in a veggie burger or pita with grilled veggies.
hope101

Stretch that guacamole

Postby Chile » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:23 pm

On the rare occasions I make guacamole, I really stretch it so that it lowers the fat per serving. After you've mashed it and added lemon juice, add minced veggies such as cilantro, green or red onion, red pepper, tomatoes (seeded), etc. Stir in some salsa, too, to really stretch it out. Then just use a little bit to top a nice healthy bean and brown rice burrito with a bunch of lettuce.
Chile

Postby happyalyssa » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:50 pm

I tend to do exactly what Chile does except lime juice for the lemon and a finely diced jalepeno instead of red pepper. I love avacados.

I saw a recipe before that suggested adding 1c. of slightly cooked peas (blended) to your guac recipe to stretch it out even further. I think I'd prefer a smaller amount of regular guacamole than a heaping spoon of the pea-avacado guacamole though.
happyalyssa

Postby Grateful » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:14 am

One of our health markets makes guacomole with both peas and avocado. They do call it a "low fat" version. It's good. Can't detect the peas in it.
Grateful

Fast, bulk, lower fat guaca-salsa

Postby robertaj » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:33 pm

I used to be able to get guaca-salsa at Safeway in a box - vacuum-packed but they quit carrying it because people wanted the full fat version and it kept going out of date! So, I buy avocados on sale (last week, 2 for $1 - I got 20!!). I bought 6 jars of the Safeway salsa verde, medium, and mixed them with it, packaged it in ziplocs and froze. It keep a very long time, and when I open a small ziploc at a time, I use much less. Avocados are my downfall when they are sitting there on the counter, ripe and ready! If you don't want any heat, use the mild. I love the stuff.
Roberta Joiner
Santa Cruz, CA
See my Star McDougaller story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/roberta.htm
robertaj

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning