How to Season Cast Iron Cookware...

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

How to Season Cast Iron Cookware...

Postby Clary » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:12 am

I decided to take the time to "re-season" all of my cast iron cookware this morning (with the cooler weather here, I use it for more cooked foods), and reviewed the instructions at LINK:

http://castironcookware.com/cleaning-seasoning.html

Direction #9 about BEANS and TOMATOES in iron cookware (high acid when cooking) is worth noting, since many of us McDougallers sometimes use some of one or the other in our cooking of beans, soups, stews, casseroles, "burgers", etc.

Clear and easy to follow directions, with other hints, and a few useful recipes (some need to be McDougall-ized), and items to order (some at discount.)

RECIPES:
http://castironcookware.com/cookbooks-recipes.html
Clary

Postby Patt » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:08 am

I don't know if the following falls into the "re-seasoning" or "maintenance" category, but it's worked beautifully with our skillet.

When you're done cooking, put maybe a teaspoon of oil in the pan while it's still warm. Then sprinkle in some kosher salt and use a paper towel to scrub out the pan. Then throw out the salt in the garbage (don't rinse it out). It gets scrubbed and re-oiled at the same time.

It doesn't work very well with regular table salt -- the crystals are so small that they aren't very effective scrubbers.
Last edited by Patt on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patt

GREAT. Thanks!...

Postby Clary » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:53 am

Sounds good. I'll try it!
Clary

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning