1000 Vegan Recipes

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 1000 Vegan Recipes

Postby Becky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Today I added:

Vegan Matzo Balls
Vegan Matzo Ball Soup

to the blog!

http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/

This soup is to die for! Next time I will make a real effort to find some whole grain Matzo Meal - I didn't even know it existed until I did a quick search on the internet. But it was very easy to keep it oil free, so I succeeded on that part.
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
https://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:47 pm

yup...it has to be off my list also but darn I want mine to taste like that!!! :lol:
ncyg46

Postby patty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:07 am

Aloha Becky
Hi Patty! Thanks for checking out my blog, I appreciate it! It is a great mayo - if you end up getting the book, you have to try it. One of the recipes so far I haven't had to alter to make it McDougall compliant, too!

I checked out Amazon and the book isn't in kindle. I am trying to only purchase books that I can download on my ipod. I like to dehydrate my bread/crackers so that is why I am interested in using the tofu base, with apple cider, dijon mustard and cayenne pepper. I have a soymilk maker so I can make my own tofu to use. I have made the sour cream with tofu, lemon and jalapeno pepper and it was good.

Have you thought of doing a cost comparison with your recipes? I found it fascinating in watching Jeff Novick's _Fast Food_ he was able to get his cost down below 3.38 and even said online with bulk buying he got it down to less than 3.00. It just sounds like a whole new concept and I wonder how cooking from scratch how it would work.

I did purchase the hard copy of "Lorna Sass's Great Vegetarian Cookbook Under Pressure" and I like "Health Promoting Cookbook" by Alan Goldhamer, kindle edition. And a lot of others, the latest "McDougall Quick and Easy" kindle edition. Love your blog... prettiest I have seen:) I really learn by other members favorites. I am not the best cook but enjoy eating:)

love patty
patty

Postby Becky » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 am

patty wrote:I checked out Amazon and the book isn't in kindle. I am trying to only purchase books that I can download on my ipod. I like to dehydrate my bread/crackers so that is why I am interested in using the tofu base, with apple cider, dijon mustard and cayenne pepper. I have a soymilk maker so I can make my own tofu to use. I have made the sour cream with tofu, lemon and jalapeno pepper and it was good.

Have you thought of doing a cost comparison with your recipes? I found it fascinating in watching Jeff Novick's _Fast Food_ he was able to get his cost down below 3.38 and even said online with bulk buying he got it down to less than 3.00. It just sounds like a whole new concept and I wonder how cooking from scratch how it would work.

I did purchase the hard copy of "Lorna Sass's Great Vegetarian Cookbook Under Pressure" and I like "Health Promoting Cookbook" by Alan Goldhamer, kindle edition. And a lot of others, the latest "McDougall Quick and Easy" kindle edition. Love your blog... prettiest I have seen:) I really learn by other members favorites. I am not the best cook but enjoy eating:)

love patty

Hi Patty,

Ah, too bad this book isn't on Kindle yet. Maybe someday.
That's great you make so much from scratch. It really does save money, and is so much healthier when we can control the ingredients. Especially salt and oil, which most processed foods go way overboard on.

I have not thought about doing a cost comparison, but that would be great information to have.

I also have Lorna Sass's pressure cooking book, that's another great one to have in your library. And of course all the McDougall cookbooks. Haven't checked out Goldhammer's yet, I'll have to look it up.

Thanks for the kudos on my blog, I really appreciate that! :)

Take care,
Becky
Becky

Postby patty » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:57 am

Aloha Becky
I have not thought about doing a cost comparison, but that would be great information to have.

I had a good friend in AA/OA who was bulimic and she would keep a note book and when purchasing a apple she would write it down. This was about 3 decades ago, I have never worried about cost as I trust as long as my intentions are in alignment to health all my needs will be taken care of.

I am not sure about nuts and seeds with the McDougall diet, if they are suggested at all. In practicing ETL it is suggested to have a 1oz (handful) a day. If at desired weight you could increase to 3 oz. I usually put flax seed and other seeds and nuts in my bread/cracker. I wonder if that is appropriate or if I have to worry about them including them at all... other than flax seed?

love patty
patty

Postby Becky » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:59 am

Recently added recipes:

Cucumber Raita
Chipotle-Painted Baked Tofu

http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com/
Becky

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 pm

tried to add a comment on the Matzo ball soup, not sure if it went thru or not! lol! Sure looked good!
I was looking thru the book and also Vegan on the Cheap and saw that several of the recipes called for Sherry Vinegar or Wine Vinegar...Haven't seen any of those and don't need to store anymore in the rv. I found this chart online and I guess I can substitute rice wine vinegar in those!
http://www.foodsubs.com/Vinegars.html

handy to have around! :D
ncyg46

Postby Becky » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:54 pm

ncyg46 wrote:tried to add a comment on the Matzo ball soup, not sure if it went thru or not! lol! Sure looked good!
I was looking thru the book and also Vegan on the Cheap and saw that several of the recipes called for Sherry Vinegar or Wine Vinegar...Haven't seen any of those and don't need to store anymore in the rv. I found this chart online and I guess I can substitute rice wine vinegar in those!
http://www.foodsubs.com/Vinegars.html

handy to have around! :D

Your quote came through, but it was attached to the Cucumber Raita, lol! :-) That's okay, that was yummy too, hehe!

I usually don't find (and really don't look for) the herb flavored vinegars either, and just substitute rice wine vinegar instead.
Becky

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:45 pm

i am freezing tonite and in the mood for that soup tomorrow!!! lol! Sorry I am a dummy on commenting!!!! Did you ever blend up regular matzos for matzo meal? I do!
ncyg46

Postby Becky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:21 am

ncyg46 wrote:i am freezing tonite and in the mood for that soup tomorrow!!! lol! Sorry I am a dummy on commenting!!!! Did you ever blend up regular matzos for matzo meal? I do!

Thats okay, I've had to make about a million tweaks on the blog to finally get it looking how I want. I'm pleased you took the time to comment! :-o

No, I never thought about blending up matzos to make the meal. Are you talking about the big flat bread cracker stuff? That's a good idea!
Becky

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:53 am

yup! Mine aren't whole wheat but they are just wheat and water so I break them up and put them in the vitamix and I have matzo meal! What I like is that those things last forever! :D Used to love Matzo Brei but haven't had that since I gave up eggs!
ncyg46

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:15 pm

took 3 matzos to make one cup by the way...and the matzo ball soup was awesome! I cooked the matzo balls in the soup since I had no room for the oven today...it is raining out! Ed ate it but added more crackers and hot sauce! :D I also used Bryanna Clark Grogan's Chick'n Broth Seasoning!

http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2 ... batch.html
ncyg46

Postby eaufraiche703 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Nancy,

Thanks for the link for the Broth - do you cut back on the salt or use ingredients as written?

I used to LOOOOOOOOOOVE matzoh brei, too. But always used so much matzoh that it wasn't too eggy tasting. Was yours more eggy or matzoh-y?

Most fake chicken broths aren't close enough to the real thing - so if you're feeling under the weather and want some chicken soup, you're still craving it when you've finished eating. IT'll be interesting to try this one!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:43 pm

Bryanna's is chicken seasoning is good! No I didn't use the oil or salt in it...this entire camper smells like matzo ball soup tonite!!!! It was sooooooo good!

and my matzo brei was more matzo-ey with garlic and onion and a few eggs that it was dipped in...I did it both ways and we liked this one better! Course it was fried in some oil in the pan. Oy for those days! I still love that stuff!
I am making kasha and whole wheat bows for thanksgiving. Will use the chicken seasoning again, maybe some mushrooms and onion. I haven't decided what to coat the kasha in yet before I toast it. Maybe the flaxseed mixture or egg replacer....also making the fresh cranberry relish with apples, oranges and walnuts! :D
ncyg46

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:45 pm

whoops..forgot to say I didn't put the salt in the seasoning either, it doesn't need it! :D It's funny ...I read over recipes and just leave out what I don't need...forgot to say that!
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning