Baked French Fries Recipe?

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Doris » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:28 pm

Here you go! Baked French Fries (pg. 360)

Potatoes
salt
pepper
Seasoning Mix:
1/3 c. Dijon-style mustard
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin

Preheat the oven to 450 F.
Scrub potatoes, cut into the desired shape and place them in a pot with cold water to cover. Soak for 30 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water, and shake to remove excess water. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a nonstick baking tray. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned.

Option: After removing the potatoes from the water, blot to remove excess water. Set aside. Mix the optional seasoning mix together in a small bowl. Spread a small amount of the mixture thinly on the surface of the potatoes. Bake as above.
Doris

Postby happyalyssa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:53 pm

If you're short on time, you can do as I do and omit the soaking.

I usually just slice up however many potatoes, sprinkle lightly with desired spices (Mrs. Dash or Spike work really good) and pop it in the 450 oven. When I start to smell potato (I'm terrible with timing and measurements!) I flip them over with a spatula and let the other side brown.

Not quite the same as traditional french fries but still pretty good. Sweet potatoes work well also, for some variety, but they brown a lot quicker so you have to watch them more carefully (smelling potato would probably mean they were burning, lol).

Oh if you don't have a good nonstick pan, a quick spray of Pam or whatever cooking spray helps. They can stick fairly easily.
happyalyssa

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning