ISO Veggie broth recipe

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

ISO Veggie broth recipe

Postby spinner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:59 am

I'd like to make my own veggie broth, preferably in my instant pot, but stovetop works, too. Does anyone have a favorite recipe for this? Thanks!
spinner

Re: ISO Veggie broth recipe

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:50 am

Here is my recipe for Veggie Broth. It is on my Fast Food: Beyond the Basics DVD and also appears in Cathy Fishers new cookbook.

In Health
Jeff

Basic Vegetable Stock

If you like to use vegetable stock instead of water for cooking vegetables on the stovetop or in soups and stews, use this easy recipe (courtesy of Jeff Novick, R.D.). Unlike with meat-based stocks, there’s no skimming off fat and you don’t need to keep the pot on the stove for hours.

4 cups chopped potatoes, peeled or unpeeled
2 cups chopped carrots, peeled or unpeeled
2 cups chopped celery (leaves are fine to include)
2 cups chopped yellow or white onions
1 cup chopped parsley (stems are fine to include)

1. Wash the vegetables and parsley well. Place all of the ingredients (potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and parsley) into a large stockpot. Add water to cover plus an extra couple inches (less water will yield a more concentrated broth and more water will result in a lighter flavored stock). Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer uncovered for at least 20 minutes.

3. Take the pot off the stove and remove all of the vegetables with a slotted spoon. Pour the broth through a fine mesh strainer (or a regular colander lined with cheesecloth) to filter out any pieces. Pour 1- to 2-cup portions of the stock into storage containers (I like canning jars). When cooled completely, the broth may be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.

Notes:
• For mushroom flavor, add ½ to 1 pound chopped mushrooms (any variety) to the pot of vegetables.

• What’s the difference between stock and broth? Stock is left unseasoned for cooking, and broth is seasoned and so can be used for drinking or as a soup base. Feel free to add some garlic, ginger, or any other favorite seasonings to this “stock” recipe to create a more flavorful “broth.”

• To use vegetable trimmings, add them (clean) to a bag in your freezer as you accumulate them. Once the bag is full, use the contents to make a batch of broth. Most vegetables can be used, but cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts) are usually avoided since they can impart a bitter flavor.

Preparation: about 20 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
Makes: (variable)
JeffN

Postby spinner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks so much, Jeff! Just what I needed.
spinner

Postby spinner » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:03 am

Is there anything I can do to use the strained solids? Hate to waste good food. :)
spinner

Postby JeffN » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:19 am

spinner wrote:Is there anything I can do to use the strained solids? Hate to waste good food. :)

Sure. Eat them ;)

You can use them in a soup, stew or any other dish.

I often but them in a soup or stew.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby AnnieMaim » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:53 am

I save all of my vegetable scraps in a baggie in the freezer. When I have enough, I put them in the IP with 8-ish cups of water and set it to manual for ...I think I went with 15 minutes.
AnnieMaim

Postby haze5736 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 am

AnnieMaim wrote:I save all of my vegetable scraps in a baggie in the freezer. When I have enough, I put them in the IP with 8-ish cups of water and set it to manual for ...I think I went with 15 minutes.

We do similar. We have so much veggie scraps and we use so much broth that we keep the scraps in the fridge in a big ball jar. We usually make broth at least once a week. We usually keep things like celery, potato, carrot and peels, mushrooms, parsley, onion and skins, tomato, zucchini. We don't keep peppers. The onion skins, especially the cheap cooking onions, give the broth a nice brownish color. Mushrooms add a nice richness.
haze5736

Postby Morris » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:07 am

http://www.blendtec.com/recipes/herbed- ... oth-powder

I like to keep a powder on hand and I find that I like this one.
Nancy (aka Morris)

Morris

Postby Timaca » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:07 am

Here's a recipe on my blog for vegetable stock in the IP! Yum! :)
Timaca

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning