Pineapple Rice Recipe:

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pineapple Rice Recipe:

Postby michelesucks » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:13 am

I looked at several different recipes that were and weren't vegan (all with oil, boo) and kind of just did my own thing based on some common ingredients I saw. It turned out really good! I make it as a single serving in my 1-cup-dry rice cooker, but you could just double or triple the amounts if you want to make a bigger batch in a bigger cooker. You could make it on the stove too, most likely. I suck at cooking rice on the stove, so I shelled out the 15 bucks for my little cooker that gives me perfect rice every time.

You need:
3/4 "rice cup" of dry basmati rice (about 1/2 measuring cup, but I use the little cup that came with my cooker)
1/2 cup canned pineapple "tidbits" and juice
crushed red pepper flakes
dash of ground ginger (optional)

fresh chopped cilantro (about 3 tablespoons)
a little salt to taste
lime juice to taste

Method:
Rinse the rice and add it into the cooker. Fill the cooker with water to the line corresponding to 3/4 rice cup, and scoop out 2 tablespoons (this is about how much juice ends up going in). Add the 1/2 cup pineapple, the ground ginger, and a shake of pepper flakes. Let the rice cook.
Mix in the cilantro and a few shakes of salt, then put the lime juice on top and fluff the rice until the juice is evenly distributed. Taste it, add more lime, cilantro, pepper flakes, etc., as you see fit.
Yum!

I think it'll store just fine, but I'm going to find out today since I'm bringing some to eat for lunch at my friend's house. I'll let you know how it goes (:

EDIT:
I reheated the rice and it's still great. I put some fresh lime juice in to wake it up again and it tastes exactly like it did when it was just out of the cooker.
michelesucks

Re: Pineapple Rice Recipe:

Postby Mollylivebearer » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:04 pm

This looks good! I feel silly to ask, but I always assumed the cup that came with the rice cooker was actually one cup. No?? ARGH~ :duh:
160 lbs. lost so far.
Mollylivebearer

Postby michelesucks » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:01 pm

Mollylivebearer wrote:This looks good! I feel silly to ask, but I always assumed the cup that came with the rice cooker was actually one cup. No?? ARGH~ :duh:

I don't know how it is with other rice cookers, but mine is Black and Decker and it came with a little plastic cup that, for some reason, equates 3/4 "rice cup" to about 1/2 standard cup plus maybe a tablespoon. I always thought it'd have just been easier to use regular measures too, but the lines on the inside of mine correspond to that cup so I don't rock the boat (;

You'd be just fine, I think, to use the specified quantities of other ingredients per 1/2 standard cup, if that's the measure you prefer!
michelesucks

Postby Timaca » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:54 pm

Thanks for sharing!! Sounds tasty! :)
Timaca

Postby HappyTummy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:27 pm

This sounds really good. I love pineapple.
HappyTummy

Postby DeborahAnn » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:32 am

This looks great! I am actually kind of staying away from recipes, finding that the more simple I eat the more weight I lose. But this recipe is nice and simple, and I can see where it will be very tasty. I think I will cook it up today!
DeborahAnn

Postby MINNIE » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:54 am

This sounds very good, and easy too. I plan to make this for a potluck where everybody else is an omnivore - I bet they will eat this:).

BTW, was it brown basmati or white? Just wondering -I eat both kinds.
MINNIE

Postby Jerry Angelo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:16 pm

This does sound like it would taste great!

It reminds me a lot of Mangos and Sticky Rice that I have had in Thai restaurants...

Fruit and rice go together really well.
108 Pounds Lost Since Sept 2014 - And Counting
No more pre diabetes! Eternally grateful to Dr. McDougall! And Jeff Novick!!!
My Journal
Jerry Angelo

Postby michelesucks » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:36 am

@MINNIE: sorry, I just saw this now! I used white basmati (:
michelesucks

Postby MINNIE » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:31 am

I will try it that way, then maybe experiment with other rices.

I love rice, I love pineapple -it can't go wrong!
MINNIE

Postby Old Guy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:21 pm

Mollylivebearer wrote:This looks good! I feel silly to ask, but I always assumed the cup that came with the rice cooker was actually one cup. No?? ARGH~ :duh:

The original cup was a tea cup that was 6 oz, so now a lot of cups that come with appliances is 6 oz.
Old Guy

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning