Oils-coconut and olive

You can ask one of our experts a specific question here

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, Heather McDougall, carolve

Oils-coconut and olive

Postby jimkamom » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:32 pm

I was wondering if you could tell me if there are any benefits to olive oil or coconut oil. I get alot of friends and family that argue the benefits and tell me that you need "good fats" in your diet. Also what is your view on babies and children and their need for fats in their diet? I get the arguments that babies need fats for brain development and also the question: if olive oil comes from olives and coconut oil from coconuts, how can they be bad since they are from plants? Thanks for any help you can give.
jimkamom

Re: Oils-coconut and olive

Postby f1jim » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi
We believe the many benefits to coconut and olive oil are to direct application to the skin. We don't recommend them to be taken internally. These oils, as well as corn, canola, and others, are precessed and extracted from the whole plant and no longer in their unprocessed state. They are high in caloric density, now stripped of valuable properties as a whole food. These oils can be dangerous to those with heart disease as they cause a decrease in the arteries ability to dilate, thereby increasing blood flow when the body requires it. Just as the case with dairy, we believe the benefits to consumption of added oils are more of a marketing ploy and they are not health foods. Most oils are not only high in fat they are high in saturated fats. These have been demonstrated to be dangerous to health. There are numerous medical studies documenting the health benefits of eliminating them from ones diet.
Whether it be children or adults, humans get the essential oils they need from within the whole plant and it's not necessary to extract the oil to accomplish that. Whole plant foods provide all the essential fats children and young adults need. We believe that oils from plants, not processed out of the plant to be healthy and part of ones diet. Quantities of high fat plant foods like coconuts and olives should consumed carefully if there are weight issues a person is monitoring. Reasonable quantities of high fat plant foods such as these as well as nuts and seeds are fine in otherwise healthy trim people. The source of fats isn't the issue as not everything in the plant kingdom is safe and healthy. Hemlock, jimson weed(loco weed), poison oak, and other plant materials are dangerous but are completely natural.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at http://www.drmcdougall.com/star.html Scroll to James Brown
f1jim

Re: Oils-coconut and olive

Postby jimkamom » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:33 pm

Thank you.
jimkamom

Return to Ask A Star McDougaller