chronic kidney disease and eosinophilic esophagitis

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

chronic kidney disease and eosinophilic esophagitis

Postby npgreufe » Wed May 25, 2016 11:17 am

I am in favor of a plant based diet. My husband has chronic kidney disease and my 16 year old son has eosinophilic esophagitis. My husband is supposed to keep phosphorous and potassium levels regulated as well as magnesium as to not consume too much and to avoid whole grains because he has been told it is harder on his kidneys; many fresh fruits, veggies and whole grains have higher amounts of these elements I guess. I don't know what to do because his kidneys are declining on the diet he is on which includes minimal of the above mentioned items plus some lean meats, fruit and some cheese (which he loves but has too much phosphorous and sodium). My son is on a restriction diet and is being tested by the children's hospital to determine what food proteins he is allergic to. Twelve items were removed from his diet including dairy, eggs, nuts, soy, wheat (and gluten), fish, beef, chicken, quinoa, rice and peas. He has been tested as positively allergic to dairy, wheat and eggs so far. I am afraid there will be more items that he reacts to, and do not know what to do because he is not willing to eat the many vegetables available to him, but will eat some fruits. Is it possible that he would lose these allergic reactions (to the plants) if he went to a plant based diet only? Again, I don't know what to do. Is there evidence of these diseases being reversed with a plant based diet?
npgreufe

Re: chronic kidney disease and eosinophilic esophagitis

Postby njr1 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:32 am

Star McDougaler katydid uses diet to manage her EOE and other issues. Reach out to her.
Good luck,
Ryan
njr1

Return to Family and Children