Plant based milk for toddlers

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Plant based milk for toddlers

Postby jmrdn18 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:48 am

Hi! I will be weaning my little one in the next few months (he's 11 months), and I have been trying to figure out what type of alternative milk (if any) to give him once he stops nursing. It seems that fortified soy milk is what's recommended by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (http://www.eatright.org/resource/food/n ... d-toddlers), but I don't want too much calcium to inhibit iron absorption. What milk do you all give your kids? What other types of foods you give your toddlers to make sure they get all the essential nutrients?

Thanks!
jmrdn18

Re: Plant based milk for toddlers

Postby DWu » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi jmrdn18,

Have you taken a look here?

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -children/
DWu

Postby MaureenR » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:31 pm

My son (10 years old) mostly drinks water, sometimes with a little wedge of fresh lemon or orange squeezed into it. He uses Trader Joe's unfortified soy milk in his cereal.

When he was a toddler I would make him lots of smoothies with bananas, peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa powder and soymilk. He won't drink that anymore. I think the peanut butter is too heavy for him. Sometimes now he will drink a smoothie with frozen strawberries, pineapple, water and some cooked sweet potato.

The one thing I really miss about the toddler years is that he was much less picky than he is now. He used to eat plenty of cooked kale and broccoli when he was a toddler and now it's hard to get him to eat veggies at all. But at least he eats lots of fruit.
MaureenR

Postby tiredapplestar » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:06 pm

I have a 23 month old daughter and I usually buy almond, but that is just because it is the only milk sold in gallon containers. I also buy soy or cashew milk just to switch it up, and I make my own pumpkin seed, sunflower seed, and hemp milk as well. I have noticed that the older she gets the less often she will ask for milk. She just drinks water for the most part these days.
tiredapplestar

Return to Family and Children