Hemp milk for almost one year old?

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hemp milk for almost one year old?

Postby jhodge » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:08 pm

SO I recently did a post about the need for alternative milks after you wein your kid off formula or breast milk. To ensure that she gets enough calories, at least until she gets used to more volume at meal times, I will be using alternative milks during meals and during her one snack. (snack thus far has been 7oz of formula). She gets 440 calories a day from formula right now and would be getting half that amount, calorie wise, when we switch if it is 80 calories per 8oz.

Hemp milk seems to be the best choice, from what I have read. Most the calories are from fat (which I would like seeing as my girl long and lean). It seems to have the most calories per cup and is a non-allergin.

Any experience with hemp milk? Any brands that have better ingredients? We have target, walmart, kroger, h.e.b near us. Is my research off or are there any other suggestions/experiences?

Also, I am NOT worried about taste. She has been on nasty hypoallergenic formula so far and anything taste better than what she is getting now haha

Thanks in advance!

Best
jhodge

Re: Hemp milk for almost one year old?

Postby Debbie » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:06 pm

jhodge wrote:SO I recently did a post about the need for alternative milks after you wein your kid off formula or breast milk. To ensure that she gets enough calories, at least until she gets used to more volume at meal times, I will be using alternative milks during meals and during her one snack. (snack thus far has been 7oz of formula). She gets 440 calories a day from formula right now and would be getting half that amount, calorie wise, when we switch if it is 80 calories per 8oz.

Hemp milk seems to be the best choice, from what I have read. Most the calories are from fat (which I would like seeing as my girl long and lean). It seems to have the most calories per cup and is a non-allergin.

Any experience with hemp milk? Any brands that have better ingredients? We have target, walmart, kroger, h.e.b near us. Is my research off or are there any other suggestions/experiences?

Also, I am NOT worried about taste. She has been on nasty hypoallergenic formula so far and anything taste better than what she is getting now haha

Thanks in advance!

Best

If it were my kid, if not breastfeeding, keep baby on formula until around age 2. From my understanding, children under 2 yrs of age, do not make their own cholesterol and need it from a dietary source. It is one reason why nursing mothers are instructed to not get their cholesterol tested cause it is higher for baby.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby jhodge » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:57 pm

@debbie Thank you! I have not heard of this before. I will look further into it just to be sure.
jhodge

Postby StarchHEFP » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:36 am

Debbie wrote:
jhodge wrote:SO I recently did a post about the need for alternative milks after you wein your kid off formula or breast milk. To ensure that she gets enough calories, at least until she gets used to more volume at meal times, I will be using alternative milks during meals and during her one snack. (snack thus far has been 7oz of formula). She gets 440 calories a day from formula right now and would be getting half that amount, calorie wise, when we switch if it is 80 calories per 8oz.

Thanks in advance!

Best

If it were my kid, if not breastfeeding, keep baby on formula until around age 2. From my understanding, children under 2 yrs of age, do not make their own cholesterol and need it from a dietary source. It is one reason why nursing mothers are instructed to not get their cholesterol tested cause it is higher for baby.

According to the medical research, cholesterol synthesis is dependent on cholesterol intake. Infants synthesize cholesterol but the cholesterol synthesis can be affected by cholesterol intake. Breast fed infants - higher cholesterol intake - lower synthesis. Formula fed - higher synthesis by the liver. Dietary cholesterol is unnecessary as long as there is a good intake of fat for the 1 year old. The problem with some hemp milks is the additives (including carageenan) that they contain. The good thing about soy milk is that it has been tested for such a long time (Asian populations have been thriving on soy which is usually home-made in a soymilk maker) with even research showing a soymilk formula is equivalent to cowmilk formula. Remember the ability to digest lactose is actually not the norm in most of the 8+ billion people in the world. Plenty of ways to get fat (including Avocado) without ingesting cholesterol; infant's body will synthesize cholesterol on its own. Some Formula contains such little cholesterol it's kind of negligible, around 1 mg / oz, compared to Whole Milk which has about 3mg / oz. Many brands contain absolutely no cholesterol at all. This is because in formula, the dairy fat is replaced by vegetable oil fat. Ex: ingredients in similac:
Nonfat Milk, Lactose, Whey Protein Concentrate, High Oleic Safflower Oil, Soy Oil, Coconut Oil, Galactooligosaccharides. Less than 2% of the Following: C. Cohnii Oil, M. Alpina Oil, Beta-Carotene, Lutein, Lycopene, Potassium Citrate, Calcium Carbonate, Ascorbic Acid, Soy Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Choline Bitartrate, Choline Chloride, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Salt, Taurine, m-Inositol, Zinc Sulfate, Mixed Tocopherols, d-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Carnitine, Vitamin A Palmitate, Cupric Sulfate, Thiamine Chloride Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Manganese Sulfate, Phylloquinone, Biotin, Sodium Selenate, Vitamin D3, Cyanocobalamin, Calcium Phosphate, Potassium Phosphate, Potassium Hydroxide, and Nucleotides (Adenosine 5’-Monophosphate, Cytidine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Guanosine 5’-Monophosphate, Disodium Uridine 5’-Monophosphate

I'm sure that the formula companies were getting killed by all the breastfeeding moms, so instead of downplaying the benefits of breastfeeding like before, they created a new need for "toddler formulas" and sold them to parents who were convinced that toddler formula was absolutely necessary. Formula is so filling it hinders food intake, and should be eliminated at 1 year of age. Toddler formula has not been backed by hard evidence to its benefit, and is probably all about marketing.

The idea that cholesterol is essential for infants is not supported by any scientific literature; actually it's found that babies do have cholesterol synthesis if they're on formula. Many vegan babies grow up to be healthy and strong without cholesterol at all. As with all baby matters, best to check with your pediatrician about growth / requirements for essential nutrients. It used to be wisdom to do "whole milk until age 2" but that wisdom is questionable. Infants/toddlers need essential fatty acids which are available from plant foods. If there is some concern about DHA by the pediatrician, then there are plant-based infant/toddler DHA supplements available.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11782868
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8165045
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8409771
http://www.nature.com/pr/journal/v56/n4/full/pr2004521a.html
StarchHEFP

Postby jhodge » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:43 pm

According to the medical research, cholesterol synthesis is dependent on cholesterol intake. Infants synthesize cholesterol but the cholesterol synthesis can be affected by cholesterol intake. Breast fed infants - higher cholesterol intake - lower synthesis. Formula fed - higher synthesis by the liver. Dietary cholesterol is unnecessary as long as there is a good intake of fat for the 1 year old. The problem with some hemp milks is the additives (including carageenan) that they contain. The good thing about soy milk is that it has been tested for such a long time (Asian populations have been thriving on soy which is usually home-made in a soymilk maker) with even research showing a soymilk formula is equivalent to cowmilk formula. Remember the ability to digest lactose is actually not the norm in most of the 8+ billion people in the world. Plenty of ways to get fat (including Avocado) without ingesting cholesterol; infant's body will synthesize cholesterol on its own. Some Formula contains such little cholesterol it's kind of negligible, around 1 mg / oz, compared to Whole Milk which has about 3mg / oz. Many brands contain absolutely no cholesterol at all. This is because in formula, the dairy fat is replaced by vegetable oil fat.

Thank you for your response!!! I am hesitant about soy milk but if I could find a way to make it....that might be another story! In truth I have not dug too deep into research regarding soymilk. And I was concerned about the additives the more research I have done and took the plunge and bought organic shelled hemp hearts! After this week I should figure out a good price comparison between hemp storebought or homemade hemp. So far the homemade seems cheaper, but again, I will need a week or two to accurately determine that. The good thing is that I am able to control the ingredients and the calorie density of homemade hemp milk.

Regarding fat. I have incorporated avocados into several of her meals the past two weeks and she has gained some weight! I am now not as worried as I was before about getting some fat into her diet.

Thanks for the input!
Best
jhodge

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:12 am

jhodge wrote:Thank you for your response!!! I am hesitant about soy milk but if I could find a way to make it....that might be another story! In truth I have not dug too deep into research regarding soymilk. And I was concerned about the additives the more research I have done and took the plunge and bought organic shelled hemp hearts! After this week I should figure out a good price comparison between hemp storebought or homemade hemp. So far the homemade seems cheaper, but again, I will need a week or two to accurately determine that. The good thing is that I am able to control the ingredients and the calorie density of homemade hemp milk.
Regarding fat. I have incorporated avocados into several of her meals the past two weeks and she has gained some weight! I am now not as worried as I was before about getting some fat into her diet.
Thanks for the input!
Best

The same people who talk about the "dangers" of soymilk also promote dairy milk. If they are so concerned about "plant estrogens" then what about the animal estrogens found in dairy milk? There is direct research linking dairy consumption by children with immediate changes in hormones. This should be a bigger concern. Before switching my children from dairy to soymilk I thoroughly did research because I did not want to cause any harm. One of the biggest authorities in nutrition is Dr. Walter Willett of Harvard, and this is what he has to say about soy below. I think the concern is more with massive consumption of soy. My children are limited to 2-3 servings a day maximum, and usually it's about 4 ounces mixed into a smoothie, and then plain sweetened soymilk the other time. I would be more concerned about soy isolates such as those found in fake meats which should be only a sometimes food, but not daily. One of my sons really enjoys edamame, again this is not a daily snack but it's very healthy. The negative soy effects are more extrapolated from studies done in the test tube, and animal studies that don't apply to humans. Human research only shows benefit of soy. Here is a balanced article also: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1480510/
Here is a survey of 3 dieticians on soy: http://www.parents.com/blogs/food-scoop/2013/10/04/diet/is-soy-safe-for-kids/
I know that you can also make your own hemp milk and even flax milk which I've made before.
It took about 3 months to fully transition my kids onto soy milk. Last year they used to request the milk at school now and then; this year they always go with just water at lunch, and refuse dairy milk even when at grandma's house (she does not keep any milk alternatives). Water is always the best default drink, and soymilk consumed in moderation. As far as flax / hemp milk, probably no harm as part of a balanced diet, but no long term research either. I've never used a soymilk maker, but one of my patients from China uses 1 at home. 2 common ones are Joyoung and Soyajoy. She told me that you just load the soybeans and water, and it's pretty easy.

Nothing generates more controversy in the veg community than soy because there is a lot of fear around it. Soymilk was introduced into the US in the 1980's but it's been used in Asia for hundreds of years. There is so much anti-soy propaganda it's hard to sort it out. Dairy was promoted for so long (and still is) as a "wonder food" that kids can't do without, but all the latest research is calling dairy into question. Soymilk has withstood scrutiny, and the only studies showing it is harmful is with excessive intake.

By the way, doctor: Children and soy milk
Harvard Health Letter
Q. Is it safe for children to drink soy milk?
A. Soy and soy milk do contain molecules that interact with estrogen receptors and therefore have weak, estrogen-like effects. However, because these effects are weak, the molecules may actually act like anti-estrogens by competing with the body’s natural estrogens when estrogen levels are high. For this reason, soy products have been hypothesized to reduce the risk of breast cancer. The evidence isn’t conclusive, but there’s some suggestion that soy consumption during childhood may reduce risk of breast cancer later in life. Soy milk or other soy products may also reduce risk of prostate cancer, but again nothing conclusive — and we don’t know about the effects of consumption during childhood on prostate cancer risk.
Regular cow’s milk contains many hormones, including estrogens, and we really don’t understand their long-term effects.
So there’s a lot to be learned. But there’s also the reality that for centuries in some civilizations, people have been consuming large amounts of soy products regularly throughout life without apparent adverse effects. I don’t think children need to avoid soy milk. Still, where there’s uncertainty, moderation is a good policy, so limiting children to drinking one or two glasses of soy milk a day makes sense.
— Walter C. Willett, M.D., Dr.P.H.
Harvard School of Public Health
May 1, 2009
StarchHEFP

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:37 am

For starch-compliant milks, there are 2 options, both of which can be home-made if desired. Both have a very nice sweet flavor. If baby likes rice cereal and oatmeal, he/she will like the brown rice and oat milks. They are also commercially available, but oat milk not as readily. Anyway, if you see these sites they will give recipes:
http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/10/homemade-oat-milk-easy-fast-cheap/
http://happyherbivore.com/2011/08/what-is-rice-milk-rice-milk-recipe/
StarchHEFP

Postby Dougalling » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:51 am

Diet, Children, and the Future
By John McDougall, MD

http://www.forksoverknives.com/diet-chi ... he-future/
Dougalling

Return to Family and Children