B 12 for adults and children

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

B 12 for adults and children

Postby cynthasteel2 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Okay I have some questions about B12. I went to the store and found B12 but there was 3 kinds that I saw: just B12, sublingual B12, & time release B12. They were all high too like 200- 500 mcgs at least or more. These ones were for me. Which one should I get?

Then for the kids I couldn't just find B12 by itself so I looked around and discovered that in some of the multivitamins for kids it is listed as in them. Not all but some. For my older boys I got the multivitamin and it had 6 mcg. Now for my 16 month old who I am still breastfeeding I got the infant multivitamin drops, it was the only one I could find, and it had 2 mcg. Is this sufficient for my kids? Also should I give my 16 month old the vitamins or not since he is breastfeeding?

Also since I saw that the B12 was in the multivitamins for the kids should I just get a multi that has at least 5 mcg ( if its possible i didn't look to see if it was even available like that and this just dawned on me lol) instead of buying the B12 by itself?

TIA :-D
cynthasteel2

Re: B 12 for adults and children

Postby jamietwo » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:27 am

I buy my b12 online and get the methylcobalamin.

Your nursling shouldn't need a b12 supplement as long as you are getting enough b12.

Dr. McDougall does not recommend a multi-vitamin. Here is what he has to say about b12 (and child-related things):

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2012nl/sep/children.htm

Good for you for starting your young ones on a plant-based diet! I did too! :)
Jamie
jamietwo

Return to Family and Children