Milk, yogurt, cheese...

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Milk, yogurt, cheese...

Postby MamaDeats » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Will my kids ever forgive me for taking away everything they've been used to? My son will be 4 soon and he has always been a milk drinker... He cried today when I didn't have any to give him... CRIED! He kept saying 'Why Mommy? why?'. My heart is breaking... So is my resolve to force this on my family...

Thanks for listening...
MamaDeats

Re: Milk, yogurt, cheese...

Postby lunatikione » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:09 am

MamaDeats wrote:Will my kids ever forgive me for taking away everything they've been used to? My son will be 4 soon and he has always been a milk drinker... He cried today when I didn't have any to give him... CRIED! He kept saying 'Why Mommy? why?'. My heart is breaking... So is my resolve to force this on my family...

Thanks for listening...

I was just wondering if it might be easier to do it gradually instead of all at once? Maybe start with watering down it slightly. Or using one of the other "milks" as Debbie suggested. You could mix 1/3 of say almond milk with 2/3 regular milk, then gradually cut back over the next few days.

Good for you that you want to change your life & your family's but perhaps forcing is not the answer either.

Just a few rambling thoughts.
lunatikione

Postby MamaDeats » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 am

Thank you! I was is such a hurry to get us healthier that it really didn't occur to me howmhard it would be on my kids... I like the weaning ideas! Thank you so much!!!
MamaDeats

Postby lunatikione » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:28 pm

MamaDeats wrote:Thank you! I was is such a hurry to get us healthier that it really didn't occur to me howmhard it would be on my kids... I like the weaning ideas! Thank you so much!!!

You are very welcome. I dont post that often, glad that my occassional post helped someone.
lunatikione

Postby circle city vegan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:17 am

There are so many substitutes on the market today. I buy a good many of them. A good tip though, try to get to the grocery store without the kids as much as possible. I find they are distracting and I can't take the time I need to read all the labels. Also I've gotten in the habit of going to 3 maybe 4 different stores because each store carries only some of the products I and the family like. Doing it this way I try to buy a month's worth of whatever so that I'm not constantly in the store.

Remember though, that if you're trying to lose weight, stay away from the substitutes. I only give them to the kids and DH.

For the milk, if you put a flavor in the milk they won't even know it's different. I like walden farms chocolate or strawberry. I like most everything from walden farms.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:52 am

It is difficult when it comes to your kids. Great ideas about slowing introducing substitutes. That is what we did. My son now has to be gluten free also and it was tough at first ~ he thought he could never eat anything good again. I started showing him that there are choices and he adapted quite fast. In fact, he now eats thing (at 8 years old) that he would never eat before and he enjoys his food so much. It just takes time and understanding. :) Best wishes to you.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby shell-belle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:51 am

I use almond milk or oat milk or hemp milk.

have not tried this myself but look here:
http://www.vancesfoods.com/

DariFree™ is lactose-free, contains as much calcium as milk and is a good source of vitamins. Best of all, children love the smooth creamy taste of DariFree™. Use DariFree™ on cereal, for drinking, cooking, baking and as a coffee creamer.

DariFree™ is not only Fat-free and Cholesterol-free, it is also free of Gluten, Casein, Soy, Rice and contains no MSG.
shell-belle

Postby BlueLotus » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:27 am

This is from years we heard that milk and egg are good children. This helps children to have a sharp brain. This not said by me but by the elders. So are you saying all these are lies? Than giving substitutes it is good to give the natural thing, right?

Thanks
Cure your snoring troubles
snoring aids pro
BlueLotus

Return to Family and Children