Chocolate soy milk

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chocolate soy milk

Postby Sherri » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:48 am

I have been giving my kids Soy Dream chocolate soy milk on and off for yrs. and have just recently watched Dr. McDougall's dvd re- soy. Am I correct in assuming that I shouldn't give my kids soy milk anymore?
Sherri

Re: Chocolate soy milk

Postby circle city vegan » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 am

My 2yr old still drinks alot of milk. We alternate between soy, almond, and now more recently coconut milk. He's still probably getting more soy than Dr. McDougall recommends but I figure it has to be better than dairy, so I'll take my chances.

About the chocolate, I had to stop buying it because my kids were getting really demanding about it and when I ran out they'd all holler and cry. No more chocolate milk for us.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wP3S3L8/]
[/url]

Vigilance requires effort until it does not require any effort.
circle city vegan

Postby Tazi752000 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:01 am

I don't buy chocolate soy milk anymore because everyone in my house drinks it like it's going out of style!
Tazi752000

Postby merriweather » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:14 pm

As for the soy part, there are lots of choices now with almond milk, coconut, rice and even hemp available even at our main stream grocer. I don't use much, but dh liked it on his cereal.
Our problem was it spoiled, because he did not drink it fast enough. Now I make my own rice milk, use brown jasmine rice. Half a cup to four cups water. Boil til rice is mush. Run through processor. Strain through wire mess. Put milk in jar, save the remaining rice to add to soup. Oh, I some times process in a date or two to sweeten.
I am finding other chocolate treats for him , since he is so good about staying on McD with me.
Realize it is different with kids.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:31 pm

My SIL, who while not a McDougaller is a pretty darn healthy mom, got my nieces drinking plain old water VERY early on. Drinking your calories is just a really bad habit to get into. Even at 11 and 13, my nieces order water to drink when we eat out--it's a rare day when they will ask if they can have a soda, and they don't drink milk (they aren't vegan and do use skim milk on cereal, but that's it).

IMO it's better to avoid getting kids used to drinking calories right from the start. Use a little soy or rice milk (IMO rice milk is better) on cereal, but otherwise get them used to drinking water. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby merriweather » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:25 pm

We just got home from shopping. Found these small tetra paks of rice dream at Whole Foods. I am sure they are meant to be used in one sitting, but think they will last dh a few days. He only uses a tad on his cereal.
I pinch hit for my friend the other day, she had double booked. So I sat one set of grandkids. They had a sippy cup of chocolate cows milk before bed. They do each night. And , no, they did not brush teeth afterward. :eek:
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:04 am

That's an old article. I believe current research will show that soy is not as harmful as we once thought, but I still wouldn't eat it as the bulk of my diet (just like everything else).

I'll have to agree that soy chocolate milk is hard to put down :lol:
HealthyMe2010

Return to Family and Children