Kid friendly ideas PLEASE

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kid friendly ideas PLEASE

Postby MOMS » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:33 pm

My 8yr old son said we eat so many potatoes he has them coming outta his head..... I eat the same things every day & enjoy it. But my kids are getting bored & I don't want them craving meats and/or dairy. Heres the things we eat every week:

Breakfast:
oatmeal, cereal, coconut yogurt with granola, toast with fruit

Lunch:
pb&j, potato sandwiches, McDougall ramen soup, leftovers

Dinner:
baked potato with corn on the cob & broccoli, spaghetti, potato noodle soup, beans & rice

ANY ideas please!!!
GARCIA
MOMS

Re: Kid friendly ideas PLEASE

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:20 am

At the top of each page you see the word "Education." Hover over that a few seconds and get the drop-down menu with the link to "Recipes." That takes you to the newsletter recipe archive.

Look around there and you'll find a number of entries by Heather McDougall labeled "kid friendly." Earlier this year Heather did a few months in a row of kid-friendly meal ideas, like mac & cheese, pizza and even banana bread.

And I would suggest getting rid of those ramen noodle cups. They're way too salty for everyday use. Even Dr. McDougall (Who does *not* own the company who puts them out any more) said they're "right" for occasional use, not everyday eating. If you're packing them for school lunches, invest in little soup-sized insulated Thermos containers and make your own. Leftovers go great for next-day lunches.
VeggieSue

Postby jamietwo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:08 am

Anything in a wrap!

Hummus, lettuce and tomato in a whole grain tortilla <Engine 2 makes regular and gluten-free oil-free whole grain tortillas>.

Mary McDougall's burritos.

soft-shell tacos <whole foods makes an oil-free whole grain corn tortilla>

Jeff Novick's bean burgers and fries https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 124&type=3
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby lfwfv » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:21 am

I am only speaking for a few months of experiencing feeding my (nearly) 1 year old son, but i find he loves pancakes, tempeh and tofu so far and they are great for him in terms of calorie density. He also likes Happy Herbivores Green Goblin muffins (i omit the sugar and they are still plenty sweet), and I make him chickpea flatbread out of chickpea flour and water that he loves. He also likes polenta.

My pancake recipe is:
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 very ripe medium banana
vanilla
cinnamon
oat flour
optional: 1 tsp baking powder

Blend wet ingredients, stir in flour and cook as regular pancake.

Flatbread recipe:
1 cup chickpea flour, whisked together with 1 cup (plus 1 or 2 Tbsp) water and allowed to sit for a few minutes before cooking in non-stick pan like regular pancake

For the tofu, he likes very firm tofu marinated in 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tsp soy sauce or Bragg's liquid aminos, and then baked at 375 for about 15 minutes covered, then flipped and baked uncovered for another 15 minutes. I slice the tofu into about 16 squares first and pat it dry.

Also, how about chia pudding? My little guy isn't a huge fan yet, but i'll keep trying.

And my little man also loves avocado cubes, or mashed with some ground flaxseed.

Kids need a bit more fat and calorie density than we do, so i cook a bit differently for my son than i do for us.
lfwfv

Postby MOMS » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:06 am

Ifwvf

How much oat flower?

Thanks all very helpful!
GARCIA
MOMS

Postby lfwfv » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Ha sorry! 80g. Not quite sure what that is in cup measurements. Maybe 2/3-3/4?? I always weigh my flour.
lfwfv

Postby StarchHEFP » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:02 am

How about make your own "pizza"? That is always a favorite. Buy whole-grain pita bread, make your own pizza sauce (I puree carrots, zucchini and italian seasoning mix together with canned tomato sauce to make it creamy), and lightly steam-fry some veggies - perhaps spinach, broccoli, peppers, etc. and have the kids pile it on, and then bake in the oven. Sometimes the pita will get more crispy if you bake it for a few minutes by itself first. Try some Chinese stir-fry with some orange sauce. Involve the kids in the recipe creation and food-prep.

PCRM has a great list of recipes also that are kid-friendly:
http://www.kidsgethealthy.org/resources/
StarchHEFP

Postby NewCindy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Check out http://happyherbivore.com We like the faux tuna sandwiches and the Hippie Loaf, well, I make one of her recipes for dinner probably 4 nights a week, I own 4 of her cookbooks but she has a ton of recipes online for free. Sign up and she has sales on her kindle version of her cookbooks for next to nothing. My kids are a few years older and refuse to eat oatmeal anymore so I make banana bread muffins. The Happy Herbivore version is so good that I can use whole wheat flour and you do not taste the whole wheat. For the weekend I make waffles with whole wheat pastry flour or Aunt Jemima whole wheat box mix. I make bean based burgers once a week, like the pinto burgers at happyherbivore. There are tons of recipes online at places like vegweb.com. Check out my site veganaugusta.com for other recipes I feed my family.
NewCindy

Postby dumbbunny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:07 pm

Mashed potatoes with cooked quinoa with onion & garlic- powdered or minced.
Mixed sprout salad topped with salsa & blueberries ?
Just a thought.
dumbbunny

Postby dumbbunny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:39 pm

Just thinking as I watching my son eating his potato #8 of the day... how about dill pickles. .sauerkraut. ..pickled vegetables? .
dumbbunny

Postby Dougalling » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:08 am

Cooked rice, 1 can tomatos = instant tomato rice soup.
Cooked rice, steamed peas n corn, soya sauce quick asian rice.
Cubed potatos, chopped green onions/celery, yellow mustard, a dash of relish = quick potato salad.
Canned refried black beans (no oil), a jar of salsa (red or green) = quick rice n beans. Good hot or cold with corn tortillas.
Cooked rice, 1 can crushed pineapple (juice and all), cherries. Somthing different.
Tahini, a banana, rolled in a tortilla = quick snack.
Cooked rice, nut drink, a tiny bit of cardamom spice = rice pudding.
Celery with tahini and raisins= quick snack (ants on a log)
Nut drink, banana, blueberries shake shake shake !
Guacamole dip, serve with corn tortillas.
Chili !
Tomatos and veggies in a pot = quick tomato/veggie soup.
Tomato, veggies, tomato paste in a pot = quick pasta sauce. Serve on corn pasta or on rice.
Macaroni n NoCheez - various recipes online.
Dougalling

Postby flyfromashes » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:52 pm

My son is almost 14 now but we started like 8 years ago when that movie Ratatouille came out to watch the movie and try and make the ratatouille that they make in the movie. He actually still really enjoys this and we watch the movie about twice a year but I have started making the ratatouille much more often like twice a month. All I do is try to find as many veggies that are the same diameter around like zucchini, yellow squashes, Roma tomato, some kind of Asian eggplant etc. and slice them very thin with my mandolin style slicer then I toss them around in some Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. We then put a little tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan ( I use spaghetti sauce) and stack the veggies nice and neat just like in the movie. We cover it with a bit of parchment paper and bake for 30 -40 min until as tender as we like them and serve it over rice or pasta. It's wonderful and we always try and make it neater and neater as we can never get it to look EXACTLY like a cartoon rat's recipe. It's a great Vegan recipe and very fun when you can have like dinner and a movie with your kids.
flyfromashes

Return to Family and Children