Can't Adopt Children due to Plant Diet

Share your experience, challenges and success implementing the McDougall program with family and children.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can't Adopt Children due to Plant Diet

Postby TJoyce » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi There:
I am an avid Mcdougall fan and supporter for the last 3 years. So grateful for the guidance.

I am asking for help with a couple I am representing. They are adopting four siblings ages 2 through 6. The county social workers are holding up the adoption because the couple are refusing to sign a document agreeing to feed the children meat. The children are happy, healthy, and thriving according to pediatricians who have evaluated them. The county workers insist that the couple's veganism is punitive and that the children need to eat pepperoni pizza and be taken to McDonalds. The couple do not want animal products in their home and are committed to a whole foods plant based diet. They have now received a violation citation for depriving the children of "comfort foods." It should be noted that the children love the plant-based food the couple prepares and frequently ask for seconds.
My question is: have you ever heard anything like this? Have you come across any evidence that children cannot thrive on a vegan diet? I'm wondering if you can point me in the right direction of a study or scientific evidence that children can be raised vegan without nutritional deficiencies. Or maybe someone who may be able to help me defend my clients from possible removal of their beloved babies. I am in the San Diego area.

Thanks so much and thank you above all for being a wonderful advocate for plant-based health and science!

Tanya Joyce,
760-855-5788
[email protected]
TJoyce

Re: Can't Adopt Children due to Plant Diet

Postby Crider » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:07 pm

This is nonsense. Are they in the San Diego area, too? They just need to go talk to the agent's superiors. And if that doesn't go, then talk to somebody at the state level.
Crider

Postby Katydid » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:18 am

Call the local paper and arrange for the family to be interviewed. Be sure to provide information to the reporter on statistics on childhood obesity, diabetes, fatty liver disease and streaky plaque build-up in arteries - as a side effect of so-called comfort food. Also provide information from health organizations stating that a balanced vegan diet provides all essential nutrients for growing children. That should bring the problem the proper attention it deserves. Having the parents provide a YouTube video of happy, trim and healthy children with their story might also start a viral campaign.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby awest27 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:32 am

Wow. This type of story should be able to take the local news media by storm. Call up Channel 8. They're always pushing the adoptions.

http://www.cbs8.com/category/154798/adopt-8
awest27

Postby dumbbunny » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:24 pm

This is about as (smart?) as shoveling slush with a pitchfork I think. :?:
Hummm. My opinions really don't matter much. I been through a few (situations) years ago with. Professional. Ummm.....slush movers. & now they sell pizzas.
dumbbunny

Postby Snotra » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:18 pm

Not that I advocate lying - but can they lie? Who's going to check to make sure the kids are eating steak and hotdogs?
Snotra

Postby dumbbunny » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:29 am

Giggling here:
sorry
LOTSA Pinocchio Noses ?

My guess on this is:
Somebody is trying to
Shovel snow with a pitchfork.
& they don't have brains
enough to let the slush
freeze up first. .

Just my opinion.
Its BS.
dumbbunny

Postby Dougalling » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:46 am

Let the department know that you are not vegan. You are whole foods plant based diet. Let them know that there is a big difference between feeding children healthy foods vs vegan crap foods.
Dougalling

Postby Gershon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:59 am

Yes. About 1.7 billion Chinese people.
Gershon

Postby Debbie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:47 am

TJoyce wrote:Hi There:
I am an avid Mcdougall fan and supporter for the last 3 years. So grateful for the guidance.

I am asking for help with a couple I am representing. They are adopting four siblings ages 2 through 6. The county social workers are holding up the adoption because the couple are refusing to sign a document agreeing to feed the children meat. The children are happy, healthy, and thriving according to pediatricians who have evaluated them. The county workers insist that the couple's veganism is punitive and that the children need to eat pepperoni pizza and be taken to McDonalds. The couple do not want animal products in their home and are committed to a whole foods plant based diet. They have now received a violation citation for depriving the children of "comfort foods." It should be noted that the children love the plant-based food the couple prepares and frequently ask for seconds.
My question is: have you ever heard anything like this? Have you come across any evidence that children cannot thrive on a vegan diet? I'm wondering if you can point me in the right direction of a study or scientific evidence that children can be raised vegan without nutritional deficiencies. Or maybe someone who may be able to help me defend my clients from possible removal of their beloved babies. I am in the San Diego area.

Thanks so much and thank you above all for being a wonderful advocate for plant-based health and science!

Tanya Joyce,
760-855-5788
[email protected]

You know, its strange. I have a friend who was attempting to adopt but was fully denied and kicked out the door simply because they are considered homesteaders and raise their own meat and refuse to buy meat from the store. It seems odd to me, that a system would deny adoption to fully loving happy healthy homes based on dietary choices and lifestyles, especially considering how many children are in the system and in need of homes. My friend who homesteads.....its how we used to live. Why is this such a problem today? Maybe its because they are largely self sufficient and dont need to live off of others? I dont know. I wish your clients good luck though. Seems if the family is healthy and thriving, and a doctor could prove that, this should be a mute point.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Return to Family and Children