Who funded this study?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Who funded this study?

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:54 am

Jeff
Any idea who funded this study?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez
Thanks
Jim
f1jim

Postby TanneryGulch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:33 am

Bad URL.
TanneryGulch

Thanks Tannery....

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 am

f1jim

Postby karin_kiwi » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:00 pm

I don't have paid access, so couldn't find out about that one. However, I did check a few other papers the lead researcher has co-authored.

Postprandial effect of n–3 polyunsaturated fatty acids on apolipoprotein B–containing lipoproteins and vascular reactivity in type 2 diabetes. Part funded by Ross Products Division, Abbott Labs. Abbott Labs is a big pharma and Ross Products is the arm that markets drugs, infant formula and adult nutritional products.

The effect of walnut intake on factors related to prostate and vascular health in older men. Funded by the California Walnut Commission, who also funded at least two other papers that I can find, including An increase in dietary n-3 fatty acids decreases a marker of bone resorption in humans.

This doesn't necessarily mean that the results are invalid. Researchers, unfortunately, all too often have to find funding from sources who are not uninterested in the outcome.

Jeff will be able to tell you about that particular study. I wouldn't be surprised to see the California Walnut Commission again, though! :)
karin_kiwi

Return to Jeff Novick, RD