Blood pressure

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood pressure

Postby MountainLady » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:06 pm

Is blood pressure that is 114/70 or 103/69 too low? Last week I was feeling a little light headed and took my blood pressure at home. I got readings of 83/59, 98/63 and 89/62. I had been taking BP medication so I called the doctor who told me to take only half. I stopped it completely. there was a day when it was 122/80, but now it is down to around 114/70 or 103/69 and in that range for the past few days. I've been eating tons of fruits and veggies for a little over a month. (Green smoothies) Is this blood pressure too low?
MountainLady

Postby hayleyscomet » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:29 pm

That is the exact range that my blood pressure is at, and it's normal for me. If you are still feeling light-headed, then there might be reason for concern; if not, then I'd bet you don't have anything to worry about (not that I'm an expert!)

I felt light-headed and my vision dimmed when I stood up the first few days on this diet, but it passed pretty quickly. Also, the first couple days I had to eat every 2 hours or so, but as I've adjusted I don't have to snack quite as much.
hayleyscomet

Postby MountainLady » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:34 pm

I don't feel lightheaded now, but I did when I was on the BP meds. It probably was low for some time before I realized it. It's good to hear that these numbers are normal for you. Hopefully they will stay where they are now for me. I'm going to continue with eating this way.
MountainLady

Postby Zana » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:21 am

Your blood pressure readings without medication are very good. The optimal reading is no higher than 115 over 75 (without medication). Well done. I hope you have no further spells of feeling lightheaded.
Zana

Return to Jeff Novick, RD