Spicy Foods

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Spicy Foods

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 pm

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the wealth of information that you provide. I wish there were more dieticians like you.

Anyway, I've just started Mary's Mini-McDougall program, and I've been trying to limit my salt intake as well but not compromise on taste. Since I'm originally from Louisiana and still have a love for spicy foods, I've been using red pepper flakes in many of my dishes to add a kick to them.

Is there anything wrong with using red pepper flakes or spices like cayenne pepper daily, even at every meal? Will it damage th lining of my stomach in the long run?

I'd like to know because I don't want to start a habit that can be bad for my health.
proverbs31woman

Re: Spicy Foods

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:19 pm

hasanismom wrote:Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the wealth of information that you provide. I wish there were more dieticians like you.

Anyway, I've just started Mary's Mini-McDougall program, and I've been trying to limit my salt intake as well but not compromise on taste. Since I'm originally from Louisiana and still have a love for spicy foods, I've been using red pepper flakes in many of my dishes to add a kick to them.

Is there anything wrong with using red pepper flakes or spices like cayenne pepper daily, even at every meal? Will it damage th lining of my stomach in the long run?

I'd like to know because I don't want to start a habit that can be bad for my health.

Hi

Thank you!

I know of no problem with using red pepper flakes so enjoy the spicy foods!!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby proverbs31woman » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:17 pm

:D You don't know how relieving it is for me to read that.

Thanks for your superquick reply!
proverbs31woman

Postby Karen in FL » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:18 pm

I thought I saw several times in articles that spicy foods can actually rev up your metabolism a little.
Karen in FL

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:44 pm

Karen in FL wrote:I thought I saw several times in articles that spicy foods can actually rev up your metabolism a little.

I've heard that too. That's another reason for me to add red pepper flakes to my food. Thanks for reminding me of that, Karen!
proverbs31woman

Postby JeffN » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:39 am

The effect of spicy food on metabolism is minimal at best, and very short lived. In the great scheme of things, for most people, it makes little difference

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby proverbs31woman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:05 pm

JeffN wrote:The effect of spicy food on metabolism is minimal at best, and very short lived. In the great scheme of things, for most people, it makes little difference

In Health
Jeff

Too bad, but thanks for clearing that up, Jeff. I'm just glad that it won't have a negative effect on me.
proverbs31woman

Return to Jeff Novick, RD