fingernails

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

fingernails

Postby janisphilbin » Wed May 28, 2008 7:58 am

Jeff or anyone else,

I have thin, peeling fingernails, have had them most of my life. Just wondering if there is anything in the diet that would help this condition? Am I lacking some specific nutrient, or is it heriditary? Anyone know.

Thank you,
JP
janisphilbin

Postby Carol » Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 pm

I used to be in the same boat and for my entire life. I started eating this way a year ago this past January, and my nails are growing like weeds and much harder. I actually have to cut my nails every week now, which I never had to do before. And I just spent 4 days planting flowers and nary a tear or broken nail. That has NEVER happened before!!!

So....I think you will notice improvement. :)
Carol

Postby janisphilbin » Wed May 28, 2008 3:29 pm

That's encouraging, Carol. I sure would like some nice nails to go along with the new diamond ring my husband gave me on our 20th anniv. It's so pretty, but my hands are not. :(

JP
janisphilbin

Postby Carol » Fri May 30, 2008 10:15 am

HA...that's funny! :lol:

I think you will see improvement over time. How can you not??? Even my hairdresser said my hair is looking like it did years ago. Now my skin....that's a different story. But nails and hair are all getting better.
Carol

Return to Jeff Novick, RD