Flat belly diet

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Flat belly diet

Postby janisphilbin » Thu May 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Jeff can you refute the claims of this diet that you need certain "good fats" to lose belly fat. It supposedly is based on this study.

"That was when Spanish researchers published a study in the journal Diabetes Care showing that eating a diet rich in MUFAs can actually help prevent weight gain in your belly.1 2007

The researchers looked at the effect of three different diets—one high in saturated fat, another high in carbohydrates, and a third rich in MUFAs—on a group of patients with "abdominal fat distribution" or, in language the rest of us non-scientists can understand, belly fat. All three diets contained the same number of calories, but only the MUFA diet was found to reduce the accumulation of belly fat and, more specifically, visceral belly fat. "

I don't necessarily believe this claim, but I don't see my "belly roll" disappearing very fast either, eating the low fat, vegan way. I'm 53 and about 15lbs heavier than I was in my earlier days, it all seems to have gone to the stomach area. It is so frustrating. Please refute these claims before I "succumb" to the hype that eating almonds will help me lose that roll. Ha!

Thank you for your time.
JP
janisphilbin

Postby JeffN » Fri May 23, 2008 10:30 am

The high carb diet was not a ideal high carb diet. The study was short term and does not mean anything in the great scheme of things in regard to optimal health. Replacing unhealthy carbs or unhealthy fats with Mono or Poly fat will shown benefit because of the substitution effect (lesser of 2 evils) but does not equate to optimal.

It is genetically predetermined where you will put fat on first and where you will lose it first. There is no way to effectively spot reduce fat.

However, if you maintain a healthy energy deficit through a healthy diet and activity levels, you will lost the excess fat. The last few pounds are always the toughest and especially for women and especially as they age.

Most of what you see in the media today is the result of "air brushing." Body builders go to extreme measures to highlight their muscles for a competition, many of which are unsafe over the long term.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby janisphilbin » Fri May 23, 2008 10:41 am

Thanks Jeff for putting it all in perspective! It is so nice to have someone who can give us a realty check!

Yes that's what I need an air brusher! Ha!
JP
janisphilbin

Return to Jeff Novick, RD