Yale Heart Book provides misinformation on protein

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Yale Heart Book provides misinformation on protein

Postby bluestocking » Thu May 08, 2008 3:00 pm

The Yale Heart Book argues that vegetable sources of protein are incomplete and says that vegetarians must complement their proteins. They recommend that 15% to 20% of calories come from protein. The chapter was written by an RD (who should know better) and an MD and cites zero references.

http://www.med.yale.edu/library/heartbk/5.pdf
bluestocking

Postby momof4 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Disappointing to see this, but it's from 1992. I graduated in '89 w/a BS in nutrition, and we were still being taught about incomplete proteins. Hopefully they're being taught the truth now.
momof4

Postby DianeR » Thu May 08, 2008 5:27 pm

This is so frustrating. People, even supposed experts, just repeat what they've heard through the years.

I'm reading a book about the history of vegetarianism right now. Very interesting, except when he throws in something wrong -- like the incomplete protein idea, which I read yesterday.

It isn't just old books. Several years ago I was still homeschooling my daughter (she's in college now). Teaching biology, I found the best reviewed introductory college book that I thought would suit her learning style. Anyway, it had just been published and it repeated the incomplete protein, need to balance your plant foods, etc. notion.

At least the Yale publication doesn't go over 20% protein. I've seen people on exercise boards argue for higher figures. Drives me nuts -- they never have any support for the notion.

Seems to me that many folks seem to need an excuse to eat animals. So they cling to notions as to why they have to.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts. --
Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan
DianeR

Postby JeffN » Mon May 12, 2008 5:36 pm

The same misinformation is being taught in nutrition and medical schools around the country. My colleagues teach it on a regular basis.

As long as there are well financed vested interests in perpetuating the misinformation, it will continue.

If you check out the main website, Dr McD has been debating this in the medical literature with the AHA nutrition committee.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Bix » Wed May 14, 2008 11:43 am

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if potatoes, and potatoes alone, could satisfy requirements for all essential amino acids.

The result: "For a 120 pound adult, five potatoes (960 calories) supply over 100% of the recommended intake for all essential amino acids. They also supply 25 grams of total protein."

I posted the numbers on my blog:
http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... d-get.html
Bix

Postby JeffN » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 pm

Bix wrote:Out of curiosity, I checked to see if potatoes, and potatoes alone, could satisfy requirements for all essential amino acids.

The result: "For a 120 pound adult, five potatoes (960 calories) supply over 100% of the recommended intake for all essential amino acids. They also supply 25 grams of total protein."

I posted the numbers on my blog:
http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... d-get.html

Thanks for the post and for doing the experiment.

As I say, "crunch" the numbers and you will see many of the myths about healthy living/eating just "melt" away.

The proof is in the crunching of the numbers therein.

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD