Calories consumed/time determines how much we eat?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Calories consumed/time determines how much we eat?

Postby starchcurious » Thu May 01, 2008 2:55 pm

Jeff, I read an interesting post on another forum, and I was wondering if you could offer your thoughts on this theory?:

The debates centred on the cause, or causes, of obesity and unwanted weight gain have raged on for a long time. They will probably continue to do so but, after more than 15 years of studying, trialling and analysis of this problem, one area in particular has continued to draw my attention for experimentation, that shows interest. It has given me this calculation, that I have already mentioned on another thread: ?x5/60=? Or, expressed in another shortened way: ?/12=y. Okay, what does this mean?
Well, disregarding all forms of dieting, because this is not a diet as such, if an overweight person analyses how they eat or drink, they may notice that in comparison to slim people, they eat much faster. Sometimes 10 times as quick!The reason or, reasons, why a person eats and drinks too quick can often be related to their experiences in their formative years or, develop at some later stage. Eg: Mimmicing parents eating pattern, forced consumption against a childs will, competing for foods in specific environments like large families with sibling rivalry, rushing meals, etc.
I believe that continual and repeated over consumption of high calorie foods, that are consumed too quickly, leads to weight gain and obesity and, a life of misery, both in health terms and low self esteem brought on as a result of being a victim of ridicule.
So, why may eating too quickly lead to weight gain and obesity?
We have evolved a biological messaging system that tells us when we are hungry. As far as I understand without explaining too deep into the chemical breakdown/absorption process of food, hunger messages are felt as a result of the lowering(not lowered) of blood glucose levels. When this happens, the Satiety Centre (satisfaction centre that's part of the Hypothalamus) of the brain, sends out this feeling of hunger as an instruction to eat. This feeling is so evolutionary strong, most people find it hard to tolerate, so naturally, they eat or drink. Now it's here that speed of eating probably sets the foundation for body weight or weight gain. How? A person who eats slowly will allow time for proper mastication (chewing), chemical breakdown and gradual absorption of food or drink (nutritionally laden), via the usual channels like small villi, and delivered in the blood system to the brain. If we say for example, a slim person eats a snack of 150 calories, and then we analyse what likely consequence an overweight person may experience, due to eating the same snack much quicker. Basically, the slim slower eater will not be getting subjected to strong hunger messages because, the Satiety Centre has registered a raising of glucose in the blood, during say the 10 minutes taken in eating time. But, the fast eater, who has probably consumed the 150 calorie snack in say 1 minute, is still being subjected to hunger messages because not enough time has ellapsed for the bodies breakdown mechanism to absorb food. This leads the fast eater to consume many more calories, even up to and behond 1,000 in that same 10 minutes, in an attempt to quell the feelings of hunger (this also presents like feelings of and, behaviour of, an addiction ). Reapeating this proccess at most eating times over a long period of time, leads to a high average Glucose level in the blood that are constantly lowering and, getting detected thus, hunger messages are sent. The result of which can be: storage of Adipose fat (glucose to glycogen), weight gain, obesity and excessive hunger feelings.

So what can a fast eating, overweight person do to change this, and help stop this vicious circle and, what is this simple calculation: ?x5/60=y An alternative way for this calculation is: (?/12=? which gives the same result?)
A fast eating, overweight, weight gaining person can sensibly practice this technique (while staying aware of their daily healthy nutritional and fluid requirements) to slow their eating, reduce hunger feelings, reduce their daily or weekly calorie intake, and ultimately reduce weight:
FOR EVERY SINGLE CALORIE YOU INTEND TO CONSUME, YOU SHOULD TAKE 5 SECOND TO CONSUME IT
The calculation for the equation is this: Eg the 150 calorie snack: 150x5/60=12.5 This is 12 minutes 30 seconds and the approx. time that the person should take to consume this amount of calories. A quicker way to get the same result is 150/12= (The forward slash mark incidentally, means divide)
Use a calcultaor and a countdown timer and practice the technique. If too great a reduction of weight results from this technique, lowering the time by seconds could be helpful.
Hope this makes sense and some benefit can be derived by practicing this technique, as it's taken many years of frustration to get to such a simple method.
Comments please.
Please kindly pass this information to other people, so as to allow them to consider it.
T-Dog

I thought that 5 seconds/calorie is a little much, but I'm also not a person to, as I told him "waste time when there's food on my plate". I thought that the cycle that he mentioned, of over-satiating, then getting very hungry again due to falling blood sugar, was spot-on, and I was wondering if there have been lab tests which confirm this kind of thing, and maybe recommend a certain calorie/time intake. (Other people on the forum asked for some kind of scientific proof of his theory, and I didn't know where else to turn.)
starchcurious

Re: Calories consumed/time determines how much we eat?

Postby JeffN » Thu May 01, 2008 3:06 pm

starchcurious wrote:Jeff, I read an interesting post on another forum, and I was wondering if you could offer your thoughts on this theory?

I do not know of any proof of this and in fact, can post a study showing the exact opposite.

All animal in nature are fat eaters and obesity is not a problem. That is where we get the term "woofed" his food down.

As a lifelong (very) "fast" eater, it is just not true.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby starchcurious » Fri May 02, 2008 3:17 am

Thanks for the reply, Jeff. I'm actually not surprised at seeing a reply to the contrary after I was thinking about the eating habits of athletes. It did sound like an interesting theory.
starchcurious

Postby Melinda » Sat May 03, 2008 11:12 am

I find that when I have become very hungry, that while my stomach is telling me I have had enough, my brain wants more, and I suppose that the message hasn't gotten to my brain that I have had enough food. So I try to stop eating when my stomach registers enough, regardless of what my brain is telling me. And then a little while later the urge from my brain goes away.
Melinda

or the tastebuds stop phoning in

Postby tiranda » Mon May 05, 2008 2:15 pm

Melinda wrote:I find that when I have become very hungry, that while my stomach is telling me I have had enough, my brain wants more, and I suppose that the message hasn't gotten to my brain that I have had enough food. So I try to stop eating when my stomach registers enough, regardless of what my brain is telling me. And then a little while later the urge from my brain goes away.

Sometimes if I pay attention to the taste of the food, when I have had enough the flavor stops registering as strongly. Then I know I can stop. But usually I go on till my stomach says "full." :oops: If not, "HEY, :P FULL ALREADY!" :P
"The 80% is percentage of calories, by the way, and is not a volume measure. McDougallers are supposed to be eating lots of vegetables." - Pumpkin
tiranda

Does it make a difference

Postby SactoBob » Mon May 05, 2008 2:50 pm

I am wondering if the rate of consumption makes any real difference if all your plates of food pass the plate test. My guess is that it does not. I eat very fast, but am experiencing great success anyhow.
SactoBob

Postby dlb » Mon May 05, 2008 7:46 pm

While on a previous diet it was advised to eat slow. Their suggestion was to put your fork down after every bite. So I gave it a try. I noticed one of my dogs kept jumping up all during the meal. Then it occurred to me that the fork hitting the plate was her signal that leftovers where coming. Poor dear, she was worn out by the time I finished eating :-D.

I am also a fast eater and it hasn't made a difference with me either.

Donna
dlb

LOL

Postby SactoBob » Tue May 06, 2008 12:04 am

Reminds me of a golf story. A pro golfer was relating how he was trying to emulate the immortal Bobby Jones. Jones said that on tournament days, he did everything especially slowly - got up slowly, ate slowly, drove slowly to the tournament etc. The pro golfer was asked how this was working for him. Answer - I don't know yet. I keep missing my tee times.
SactoBob

Re: Does it make a difference

Postby tiranda » Wed May 07, 2008 3:26 pm

SactoBob wrote:I am wondering if the rate of consumption makes any real difference if all your plates of food pass the plate test. My guess is that it does not. I eat very fast, but am experiencing great success anyhow.

sorry, what exactly is meant by the "plate test?"
"The 80% is percentage of calories, by the way, and is not a volume measure. McDougallers are supposed to be eating lots of vegetables." - Pumpkin
tiranda

Re: Does it make a difference

Postby TominTN » Wed May 07, 2008 4:51 pm

tiranda wrote:sorry, what exactly is meant by the "plate test?"

Hi, Tiranda.

It's a concept that Jeff describes in this post:

http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42669#42669

JeffN wrote:But what is more important and what I feel to be the most important test, is what I call the "plate test." Very few people know about it yet it is one of the most effective tests and simple and easy to do and very inexpensive. You can even do it at home.

Here is how you do it.

When you sit down to eat each meal, look at your "plate" and see if it passes this "test", the "Plate Test."

Are at least 95% of the calories on your plate coming from unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains and/or legumes? Are there at least 12-15 grams of fiber coming from whole natural foods? Does it meet my guidelines for sodium? Are any "exceptions" being kept to less than 5% of calories?

If your meal passes this "Plate Test", then I think that is the most effective test you can ever have done and the best indicator of your future health and longevity.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Thanks for that! I'll copy it from here and keep it.

Postby tiranda » Thu May 08, 2008 10:47 am

Bit late to be asking yourself that sitting at the table, though! After cooking and dishing it up? :lol:

But LOADS better than not even thinking about it.

A few years ago the McDougall Newsletter had some pictures of the food they served at a Mcdougall weekend and it was very helpful (for the visual among us) to see what a full plate of good food looks like, without a huge chunk of dead animal anchoring the presentation. I put my veggie stuff on the plate and it just looks...wrong....somehow.... Then I remind myself it's the influence of the greater meat-and-dairy-centric food culture and get on with dinner. :D
tiranda

Return to Jeff Novick, RD