Club soda

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Club soda

Postby LauraA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:23 pm

Hi Jeff - and thank you so much for all of your wonderful answers to all of our questions. I'm off of all diet soda, off of the iced green tea that I used to drink, and I'm wondering if regular water is any better than no sodium club soda. I often have club soda with a little lime in it or even a little bit of pomegranate juice in it. First of all, is the club soda as good has having plain water, and second, is there any harm in a small splash of juice? Thanks, LauraA
LauraA

Re: Club soda

Postby JeffN » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:54 pm

LauraA wrote:Hi Jeff - and thank you so much for all of your wonderful answers to all of our questions. I'm off of all diet soda, off of the iced green tea that I used to drink, and I'm wondering if regular water is any better than no sodium club soda. I often have club soda with a little lime in it or even a little bit of pomegranate juice in it. First of all, is the club soda as good has having plain water, and second, is there any harm in a small splash of juice? Thanks, LauraA

Hi Laura

Congrats on getting of the diet sodas!

I know of no evidence indicating any harm from plain carbonated water. I enjoy it myself. Just be careful as there are some "seltzers" and some "club soda" that have added salt and other chemicals. Look for the plain carbonated waters. There are several brands that "flavor" them with either raspberry, lemon, lime, orange, etc and the only ingredient is water and "natural flavor" (what ever that is) which IMHO are fine.

Adding a splash of 100% juice, like 2 oz is fine, and makes a refreshing drink. Just know that the 2 oz is around 30 calories, so if you drank enough of these in a day, the calories could add up, and excess liquid calories are not a good idea in any form.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby LauraA » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Jeff, thank you so much for your speedy reply. I add way less that 2 oz of juice, so I think that I'm fine. Take care, LauraA
LauraA

Return to Jeff Novick, RD