Jeff....PUBMED?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jeff....PUBMED?

Postby boardn10 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:57 pm

Jeff, I think you mentioned pubmed as a repudable place for the latest research?

I found this quote from one of the celiac researchers who look for links between unknown gluten intolerance and other conditions that seem to have no rhyme or reason:

...In another publication from the database at PubMed.gov (Gut. 1976 Sep;17(9):735-9.), a study that showed that when a patient with MGUS and Celiac Disease was put on a gluten-free diet the monoclonal proteins entirely disappeared by the end of 3 years! Hence you can imagine what big news this is to all the MGUS patients, on the various online MGUS forums. Here is the suggestion that Celiacs might avoid becoming MGUS patients, that MGUS patients might perhaps avoid progression to multiple myeloma, and that multiple myeloma patients might have halted or slower progression of their disease, simply by being on a gluten-free diet! This is indeed big news!...

If I found this on pubmed..is it reliable?????

Thanks!
Last edited by boardn10 on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
boardn10

Re: Jeff....PUBMED?

Postby JeffN » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:25 am

boardn10 wrote:Jeff, I think you mentioned pubmed as a repidable place for the latest research

Great work!!

I feel like a proud dad! :)

Pubmed is a way to access the National Library of Medicine and published research in medical and science journals. If it appears in Pubmed, the odds are very high that it has passed the "peer review" process and has been published in a reputable science journal. There are some exceptions.

boardn10 wrote:If I found this on pubmed..is it reliable?????T

It is a start.

First we have to see the article and read it. There are many types of ways that studies are conducted, and some are of much higher quality than others. You may have a small study on 10 people for 1 week, with no control group or randomization, or you may have an observational study of 40,000 for 10 years. All of these issues matter.

And, one study never means anything. If one study came out in in 1980 saying one thing, and since then, 10 others have come out trying to repeat the study, and all 10 had the opposite results of the first, then you have to question the results of the first one.

We all have to look at funding sources and biases as this can also effect the outcomes.

The bad news, is that this article is a "case report" which is a report of one person, it is from 1976, which makes it over 32 yrs old and it does not deal directly with MGUS but similarities.

The good news, is you are looking in the right place. And, when you find one study on your topic of interest, if you get the study, it will reference many others for you to read.

Here is the official abstract

Gut. 1976 Sep;17(9):735-9.Transient paraproteinaemia in a patient with coeliac disease. Pena AS, Nieuwkoop JV, Schuit HR, Hekkens WT, Haex AJ.

A case is reported of a 43 year old man who suffered from a grass pollen allergy and a malabsorption syndrome and in whom a paraproteinaemia was found. The grass pollen hypersensitivity was abolished by desensitization. The malabsorption syndrome was found to be due to coeliac disease--that is, a "flat" mucosa of the jejunum with an almost normal ileal mucosa--followed by clinical recovery and morphological improvement on a gluten-free diet. A short period of gluten reintroduction caused deterioration of the jejunum. The monoclonal immunoglobulin (IgG-gamma) diminished and disappeared in the course of three years. Although it has not been possible to demonstrate that this paraprotein had anti-gliadin activity, it is suggested that the constant stimulation of the gut reticuloendothelial system by gluten might bear some relation to the appearance of the paraproteinaemia.

PMID: 976814

I have accessed the full article and if you would like, PM your email and I will send it to you.

You are on the right path, so keep going.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Jeff....PUBMED?

Postby Clary » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:53 pm

JeffN wrote:
boardn10 wrote:Jeff, I think you mentioned pubmed as a repidable place for the latest research

Great work!!

I feel like a proud dad! :)

Jeff

A looong labor, and lots of "pushing". :)
Congratulations, "proud dad". :nod:
--and I wish you continued successful, productive searching, boardn10.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby Coleslaw » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:39 am

Jeff, I don't know how to search pubmed.gov. Dr. McDougall told me that chemotherapy for colon cancer is not successful and for me to seach this out on pubmed. But, everytime I have tried to find something about the chemo and colon cancer, well, I can't find it. What am I to do?
"Nothing feels as good as feeling good feels" by David Wolfe
Coleslaw

Postby Suebee » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:14 am

You have to use their lingo. I typed in "Efficacy of chemotherapy in colon cancer" and got the following (which was only one study). There were others.
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2008 Apr;8(4):547-51.Click here to read Links
Redefining adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with stage III colon cancer: X-ACT trial.
Glen H, Cassidy J.

Beatson Institute for Cancer Research, Garscube Estate, Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1BD, Scotland. [email protected]

The current standard adjuvant chemotherapy for suitable patients with stage III colon cancer is the combination of oxaliplatin and 5-fluorouracil plus folinic acid (5-FU/LV). However, until recently and for many years prior to this, the accepted standard adjuvant chemotherapy was 6-8 months of bolus 5-FU/LV. However, bolus treatment was associated with significant toxicity, namely stomatitis, diarrhea and neutropenia, in addition to multiple hospital visits for drug administration for patients. The X-ACT trial (Xeloda in Adjuvant Colon Cancer Therapy) compared traditional bolus 5-FU/LV (as per the Mayo Clinic regimen) with capecitabine, in the adjuvant treatment of 1987 stage III colon cancer patients. The main safety, efficacy and pharmacoeconomic results have all been published, and the updated 5-year efficacy results have also recently been presented. This trial demonstrated that capecitabine was at least as effective as bolus 5-FU/LV in terms of disease-free and overall survival, with trends towards superiority for both. Moreover, there was much less toxicity associated with capecitabine, apart from hand-foot syndrome which was significantly more prevalent. On the basis of the X-ACT trial, capecitabine was approved by the US FDA, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence and the Scottish Medicines Consortium as monotherapy for the adjuvant treatment of stage III colon cancer.

According to this, it's nasty.
Suebee

Postby JeffN » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:55 pm

Coleslaw wrote:Jeff, I don't know how to search pubmed.gov. Dr. McDougall told me that chemotherapy for colon cancer is not successful and for me to seach this out on pubmed. But, everytime I have tried to find something about the chemo and colon cancer, well, I can't find it. What am I to do?

The best way to search pubmed is to just put in your search terms in parenthesis.

The main topics would be "colon cancer" "outcome" or "outcome measures" , "treatment" "effectiveness"

However, this may be difficult as most of these studies are done in a way using statistics that make them sound good.

To see what you are looking for, you may want to check out a book by a guy named Nortin Hadler, who is a well respected MD who is highly critical of many (if not most) of these medical tests and treatments.

You can read a short article on him and his perspective here.

http://research.unc.edu/endeavors/win2005/hadler.php

He has written several books on this topic which are great reads.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Well-Person- ... 211&sr=8-9

He helps you understand alot of the data and their statistics and why most of it is misleading and how they use it to promote unproven and often dangerous treatments.

I beleive there are many citations in the book that may help you as once you locate one or two, then they will lead to others

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Coleslaw » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 am

Jeff and Suebee thanks for your help. The book sounds interesting. I do have the two books by Ralph Moss. Questioning Chemotherapy and The Cancer Industry. I also have the book by Ty Bollinger, Step Outside The Box, but he promotes eating grass fed beef and olive oil. Moss isn't a vegan either.

Well, I already decided not to have chemo and just follow the McDougall program. I do just fine at home by not eating olive oil or Earth Balance margarine, but still having problems eating out. I feel my colon cancer began because of the radiation treatments and chemo I had in 1990 and/or started at that same time, because I was eating the SAD diet. On Nov.28, 2007 I had surgery to remove the colon cancer. On Feb.1, 2005 (has it been that long ago?) I went on the raw food diet and you wouldn't believe how many bottles of olive oil I went through. I'm sure the owner of the health store was sad when I stopped eating all raw, about 1 1/2 years later. So, I'm sure that didn't help me with my colon cancer either? And may have caused it to spread, as I had one cancerous lymph node, which was also removed.

I had wanted info from Pub Med about chemo not being successful, so I could get my doctors off my case. I might give it another try, but I already told the one doctor I decided not to have chemo, but I still have to deal with the oncologist.

If anyone is worried about having cancer, I would suggest they watch the DVD, "Healing Cancer From The Inside Out", by Mike Anderson. www.ravediet.com Dr. McDougall is on it.

Thanks
"Nothing feels as good as feeling good feels" by David Wolfe
Coleslaw

Postby Nettie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:50 am

Coleslaw wrote:...I do have the two books by Ralph Moss. Questioning Chemotherapy and The Cancer Industry. .
If anyone is worried about having cancer, I would suggest they watch the DVD, "Healing Cancer From The Inside Out", by Mike Anderson. www.ravediet.com Dr. McDougall is on it.
Thanks

I also have the 2 Moss books, and they're quite enlightening. And then I went to Mike Anderson's "Healing Cancer.." DVD. What a mind-blower! I had no idea our government was so corrupt. I learned that some alternate therapies, in addition to dietary changes, actually do work, despite the bad press from the medical establishment. And to think I went through chemo and radiation 8 years ago. :mad:

And now I've gotten Mary Tocco's DVD on the link between autism and vaccines. I'm completely demoralized at how broken our system of government and the medical/phamaceutical field are. It's all about the money, and the health and welfare of the people be damned.

This forum, along with those voices of Esselstyn, Campbell, Novick, et.al., is a haven for those of us whose hearts and minds are open to knowing the truth. I so appreciate their honesty (and resultant loss of income!) in the face of sometimes unbelievable resistance and outright hostility from some of their confreres in the medical field.

Nettie
Nettie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD