Eating when hungry

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating when hungry

Postby JOJO1947 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:38 pm

Dear Jeff,
Gustavo Tolosa conducted a 10 day Mary's Mini on FB and he wrote, "I also know that in the McDougall program you are not eating at 10pm even if you’re hungry. I’ve been to over 30 McDougall programs and done 100s of webinars with him. My mention of stopping to eat (if possible I said) after 7 pm or so is what I saw at the McDougall program." Vikki Calvin Deederick and I found this advice to stop eating at 7pm a bit confusing and not the message we thought was correct, which was "'eat when hungry, to satiation, not stuffed." Thanks for your input. JoAnn
JOJO1947

Re: Eating when hungry

Postby JeffN » Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:55 pm

You are correct. The snack room was available to all participants 24 hours a day during the residential program and we let the participants know. Their room key unlocked the snack room.

In addition, the days at the residential program were busy and long. They started at 6:30 to 7:30 AM with check-ins and then ran through to dinner which ended at 7:30 pm. There was a break from 10:30 to 10:45 in the mid-morning and an afternoon break from 4:15 to 4:45. Several evenings during the week there was either a movie or a lecture that would run to 8:30 or 9:00. By the time the day was done, the attendees were exhausted and they usually hit the hay as the next day started at 6:30 to 7:30 AM again.

However, if they were hungry, they had complete 24 hour access to a well stocked snack room.

Jeff
JeffN

Re: Eating when hungry

Postby landog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:21 pm

JeffN wrote:However, if they were hungry, they had complete 24 hour access to a well stocked snack room.
Jeff

Image[

landog

Return to Jeff Novick, RD