Harmony House Foods Dried Mushrooms

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Harmony House Foods Dried Mushrooms

Postby Daydream » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:56 pm

Hi Jeff,

Today I was browsing at the Harmony House Foods website looking at their dried vegetables. I noticed that their dehydrated mushrooms have the California Proposition 65 warning which says: "Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead, mercury and cadmium, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer". Do you think those dehydrated mushrooms are safe to eat or does California have higher standards about certain foods compared to other states?

I read your post from July 2012 about California Proposition 65 regarding lead in balsamic vinegar but I didn't know if you had a different opinion about dehydrated mushrooms or any updated opinion regarding CA Prop 65.

Thank you so much for all you do in this forum!

This is what I was looking at:

https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Dried ... _1740.html
Daydream

Re: Harmony House Foods Dried Mushrooms

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:22 am

Daydream wrote:Hi Jeff,

Today I was browsing at the Harmony House Foods website looking at their dried vegetables. I noticed that their dehydrated mushrooms have the California Proposition 65 warning which says: "Consuming this product can expose you to chemicals including lead, mercury and cadmium, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer". Do you think those dehydrated mushrooms are safe to eat or does California have higher standards about certain foods compared to other states?

I read your post from July 2012 about California Proposition 65 regarding lead in balsamic vinegar but I didn't know if you had a different opinion about dehydrated mushrooms or any updated opinion regarding CA Prop 65.

Thank you so much for all you do in this forum!

This is what I was looking at:

https://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/Dried ... _1740.html

My comments about the Ca Prop 65 remain and while I honor these kind of attempts to keep the food supply safe, this one has created more confusion that I think it has good.

One solution is to contact harmony house and ask about it. They should be able to give you more info on why they have the warning and what were the test results.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD