Winter Squash

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Winter Squash

Postby Starflower » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:01 pm

Hi Jeff,

I have a couple Chef Jeff questions. We just found a really good local source of many varieties of winter squash both large and small. My old kitchen knives are just not up to the task of prepping them. What kind of knife would you recommend? I will probably cook them by scrubbing, cutting and baking or boiling with the rind still on, then scooping them out if needed. Which brings up the second question - are winter squash rinds edible? Thanks!
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Re: Winter Squash

Postby JeffN » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:36 pm

Starflower wrote: Hi Jeff,

I have a couple Chef Jeff questions. We just found a really good local source of many varieties of winter squash both large and small. My old kitchen knives are just not up to the task of prepping them. What kind of knife would you recommend? !

A good French Knife. They run in size from 6-12 inch. Find one that fits your hand and is comfortable. Keep your knives sharp. Remember, most cuts and accidents come from dull knives that slip not sharp knives. BTW, your old ones may just need a good sharpening.

I personally prefer Henckel "Four Star" and Wusthof "Classic" knives. Not cheap but will last forever if you take good care of them. And, guaranteed for life too. I got my set of Henckel knives in 1981 and still use them today.

Starflower wrote: I will probably cook them by scrubbing, cutting and baking or boiling with the rind still on, then scooping them out if needed. Which brings up the second question - are winter squash rinds edible? Thanks!

Yes, However, they have different textures so you may prefer some and not like others.

Enjoy
Chef Jeff :)
JeffN

Re: Winter Squash

Postby Starflower » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:17 am

Thank you! Happy autumn cooking! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Return to Jeff Novick, RD