Effect of diet on progression of ALS?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Effect of diet on progression of ALS?

Postby Starflower » Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:49 am

Good morning, Jeff!

A friend of a family member was just diagnosed with ALS. I searched for information regarding the effect of diet on progression of the disease, but found very little. Have there been any studies? Is there evidence, or even anecdotal indication, that a starch-based diet can slow progression? Thank you in advance.
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Re: Effect of diet on progression of ALS?

Postby JeffN » Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:19 am

Outside the general lifestyle and dietary recommendations we make I don't see anything specific that has decent evidence that I would recommend. Probably why you didn't find much and why there isn't anything here except for this interview which is about 30 years old

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/m ... l-perl-md/

Jeff
JeffN

Re: Effect of diet on progression of ALS?

Postby Starflower » Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:39 am

We’ll give him the link and information about a starch based diet. Hopefully there will be more known about treating ALS with diet someday. Thank you! :)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Return to Jeff Novick, RD